Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-ray MTL: multiple layer reflection

Hey,

im not sure how others feel or if this has already been requested by some one ells. when I'm Ldeving in maya with materials that need multiple layer reflection i always find it A nightmare to maintain and the only thing iv changed the reflection preameter on one of my layer.

it would be nice if the vray MTL would allow you the have more the multiple layer reflection in the MTL insted of resorting in the MTLblend to do this.
    its.

any one feels the same?

thanks

There was some discussion a while ago to add a second reflection layer, but we haven't gotten round to it. How many layers do you need typically?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

This would be a fantastic feature. Creating multi-layered reflections using the blend material is a pain, not to mention very slow to render. I usually use two or three layers, but only because having more becomes a nightmare to manage.
      Last edited by tuomas; 17-02-2016, 04:28 AM.
      www.tuomaskankola.com
      www.trollvfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        There was some discussion a while ago to add a second reflection layer, but we haven't gotten round to it. How many layers do you need typically?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        Would it be worth doing something dumb like putting in 5 or 10 as a coverall rather than going with one or two which'd be the typical?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          Would it be worth doing something dumb like putting in 5 or 10 as a coverall rather than going with one or two which'd be the typical?
          Remember that I need to add a bunch of controls for each layer (strength, color, Fresnel, glossiness, the respective textures, bump etc). It would look really frightening

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by tuomas View Post
            not to mention very slow to render.
            It will still be slow to render After all, all the layers need to be calculated regardless of how they are presented in the UI.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Right. But just getting rid of a mad node network would be a blessing
              www.tuomaskankola.com
              www.trollvfx.com

Comment

Any way to dynamically add layers (say with a little + icon), so we don't have a fixed number to begin with? Not sure what's possible with AE-templates?

Remember that I need to add a bunch of controls for each layer (strength, color, Fresnel, glossiness, the respective textures, bump etc). It would look really frightening

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Andersen View Post
                  Any way to dynamically add layers (say with a little + icon), so we don't have a fixed number to begin with? Not sure what's possible with AE-templates?
                  i think dan is on the write path..
                  if you do have to lock it down the magic number for some reason seems to be 3 but i would say 4 (one for just in case) but Vlado raises a good point

"Remember that I need to add a bunch of controls for each layer (strength, color, Fresnel, glossiness, the respective textures, bump etc). It would look really frightening "
                  i think this can also be resolved with a option that says "use seeing from reflection 1" or let users pike which reflection layer they want to grab the setting with.

unfortunatly for me nuke and dynamic tab and knobs make it really unstable. form past experience! so not sure how that would translate to other applications

Comment

It will still be slow to render After all, all the layers need to be calculated regardless of how they are presented in the UI.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    hey im just pingin a old post. Im kinda Wondering if this will make it in to V-ray Next?

Comment

No, I'm afraid but on the other hand, the VRayALMtl material has two specular layers and you can use that if it's easier.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

No, I'm afraid but on the other hand, the VRayALMtl material has two specular layers and you can use that if it's easier.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Cool Thanks for the up dae Vlado

Comment

Working...
                        X