Subdivide alembic hair in vrayproxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Subdivide alembic hair in vrayproxy

It would be a super nice feature if it was possible to subdivide alembic hairs in vrayproxy.
    Richard Blank
    www.haymakerfx.com

Yes, I think it's somewhere on the "to do" list so hopefully we'll get to it soon.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    Last edited by vlado; 15-04-2016, 04:47 AM.
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,

Any news on when this feature will be available?

Thanks!

Comment

Apparently we added the option in 3ds Max, let me ask about Maya.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi, the option "tessellate hair" is there for quite some time. What V-Ray version are you using?

Best regards,
          Asen

Comment

Aha, I must have overlooked the feature and the fact that this post is in a maya-thread. It is indeed there (in 3ds Max).

However, (and this might also be relevant to the maya implementation of this feature): when tessellating the hair, vertex color channels and other additional channel info change in an undesired fashion.
            I exported curves/hair form Houdini with a gradient mapped vertex color along curve-length. Imported in 3ds Max 2017 (vray 3.60.02) with VrayProxy, added a basic shader with a vertex color map in the diffuse. rendered and it looks as expected. But when turning on tesselate hair, it does not interpolate the vertex-data but does something else. As you can see on these screenshots.

I also added a zip with the ABC-file. test_v04_.zip

Any ideas on what's happening?

Click image for larger version  Name:	NoTesselation_v01.jpg Views:	3 Size:	144.7 KB ID:	968102Click image for larger version  Name:	Tesselation_v01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	968103 .

Cheers,
            Tim
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi

Has this been logged as a bug? I have similar issues right now and need to export my curves subdivided from Houdini for it to render correctly, which of-course is sub-optimal, see image:

Debug Scene + cache files attached.
              hair_tesselation.zip

//
              David Lessél

Comment

Is there an update on this issue?

It would be great not to have to subdivide the curves before exporting from Houdini, as this heavily increases filesizes.

--
                Jacob
                Head of Pipeline @ Ghost VFX
                Jacob Børsting
                Head of Pipeline @ Ghost VFX

Comment

This is fixed and included in the Update 2 release that came out yesterday. https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-now-available
                  Alex Yolov
                  Product Manager
                  V-Ray for Maya, Chaos Player
                  www.chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                  X