Faster Opacity Mapped rendering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faster Opacity Mapped rendering

I've just had a hell of a time finding some pure geometry trees for a project, because nearly all the commercial tree/plant generators create opacity mapped leaves etc.

I did some extensive testing with these and the slow-down when using opacity mapped leaves is just amazing....I would not have been able to complete the project in time if I had gone down this route!

I know about turning off filtering and making sure the opacity map is just black and white, but it still didn't help that much.

Can't you introduce something more akin to clip mapping where a pixel is either on or off, and if it is off then Vray just ignores it?

Originally posted by jasonazure View Post
    I've just had a hell of a time finding some pure geometry trees for a project, because nearly all the commercial tree/plant generators create opacity mapped leaves etc.

I did some extensive testing with these and the slow-down when using opacity mapped leaves is just amazing....I would not have been able to complete the project in time if I had gone down this route!

I know about turning off filtering and making sure the opacity map is just black and white, but it still didn't help that much.

Can't you introduce something more akin to clip mapping where a pixel is either on or off, and if it is off then Vray just ignores it?
    Its already implemented in 3ds max. It has a few modes like opacity clip, and stochastic. In my experience they speed up rendering 15%-30%, but its not miraculous imo
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It's on the "to do" list to add the transparency modes to Maya as well.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Excellent! Glad to hear there is an answer out there, and we should get it eventually.

Comment

Hi, just about to dive back into some tree based environments and wondering if this "to do" was "done" in the latest version of Vray?

Comment

It's already done but not available in the latest official version 3.52.03.
            It will be probably with the next one 3.60.01.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Any idea when we might see that release?

Comment

Originally posted by jasonazure View Post
                Any idea when we might see that release?
                We can't commit to a specific release date.
                The feature is available in our latest stable nightlies though.
                V-Ray for Maya dev team lead

Comment

Hi, just wondering if this is in the latest version of Vray for Maya yet?

I have another project that requires a lot of trees!

Comment

According to the documentation and the "What's new", it is
                    __
                    https://surfaceimperfections.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X