Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• list of GPU features

Hi,

Is there an approximate ETA for some of these important features to be supported on GPU?:

1.Full support for V-Ray MTL ( mainly Dispersion and Glossy Fresnel, Translucency, Roughness)
    2.VRayOSLMtl
    3.VRayToon
    4.VRayEnvironmentFog
    5.Maya File node with full support of projection node. (I have been requesting this one for over a year now)

Thanks

Thanks a lot for the feedback! It is very helpful to know what people need.

1. Glossy fresnel is being worked on atm. Use FastSSS2 instead of translusency ...
    2. I doubt it will happen soon. We have MDL (materials + textures) and GLSL textures instead.
    3. Can't give ATA, will have too look at it.
    4. Env fog is implemented in internal builds (although, atm without textures). Some volunteers already beta test it https://www.instagram.com/p/BR8dpphh...by=dabarti_cgi. It is comming.
    5. Can you give a scene? Projection is support foq quite some time in the engine.

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

How about dispersion in VrayMtl? It seems like a very important feature visually.

Ps

I will send a scene in a bit.

Comment

Blago, my apologies, just retested latest official build (not nightly) and projection node is supported nicely even when piped through Blend material, as well as normal map starting to look very nice!

Only couple things I've noticed:

1. with IPR on, when moving place3dTexture, the render image dsoen't update unless you also move camera.
        2. Is there anything can be done to produce a better edge aliasing in general? (image attached is Guassian 2.0 size)

So yea i think if you guys add Dispersion to glass it will be very nice to use GPU version in production!

Comment

We know about the camera, I hope it is not huge annoynment?
          Image filter should alias images as well as in the CPU (keep in mind that subpixel mapping does not work in GPU and we don't plan to support it).

Dispersion is somewhere in the todo list, but to be honest so far not many people have actually asked for it, so we have planned few things before it ... I will at least check how much efforts it will take.

Best,
          Blago.
          V-Ray fan.
          RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by savage309 View Post
            Image filter should alias images as well as in the CPU (keep in mind that subpixel mapping does not work in GPU and we don't plan to support it).

Dispersion is somewhere in the todo list, but to be honest so far not many people have actually asked for it, so we have planned few things before it ... I will at least check how much efforts it will take.

Best,
            Blago.

Yeah camera is no big deal.

Dispersion seems like a low hanging fruit. People avoided it on CPU i assume since it's so expensive to render but in GPU I think it makes the most sense. Can you guys bump it in to do list please

Comment

Just noticed a strange behavior, when you use IPR, the normal map on metal looks appropriate, when hitting final render button, the metal becomes extra matte.

Comment

If you can upload scenes, some of the QA guys will check what is going on. Are you sure you are not rendering the production with CPU (it looks different)? What is texture size mode?

Best,
                Blago.
                V-Ray fan.
                RTX ON

Comment

You're right, had 512px in IPR tab and 2048 in Vray, so yeah after making both same value results identical, wouldn't it make sense to link those together for user intuitiveness? (only if you have specific production need you would want to tweak stuff separately)

Comment

Image filter on CPU look stronger than on GPU.

user erorr?

Comment

Hard to say (without guessing), could be subpixel mapping or something. Can you upload the scene, so QA can check it?

Best,
                      Blago.
                      V-Ray fan.
                      RTX ON

Comment

Hard to say (without guessing), could be subpixel mapping or something. Can you upload the scene, so QA can check it?

Best,
                        Blago.
                        Turned off in both screenshots.
                        Uploaded the scene
                        Attached Files

Comment

Almost forgot one thing, will layered texture be supported when plugged into vraytriplanar, (i'm assuming right now it's not recognized as bitmap and only bitmap is allowed)?

Comment

Originally posted by Lapaev View Post
                            Almost forgot one thing, will layered texture be supported when plugged into vraytriplanar, (i'm assuming right now it's not recognized as bitmap and only bitmap is allowed)?
                            Thanks for the scene!

We still support it only for bitmaps, but I will bump the note in the bug tracker.

Best,
                            Blago.
                            V-Ray fan.
                            RTX ON

Comment

Originally posted by Lapaev View Post

Image filter on CPU look stronger than on GPU.

user erorr?
                              HI,
                              the difference between the CPU and the GPU is because currently the GPU is ignoring the "Size" parameter when the filter is set to "Gaussian". I've reported the issue for fixing and as a workaround you can use some of the other filter types.
                              Thanks for the feedback.
                              Ivan Shaykov
                              chaos.com

Comment

Working...
                              X