Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marty030 View Post
    Hi,
    would love to give it a try, but after copying the right file into C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2014\plugins\vrayplugins
    I get the error message:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]26658[/ATTACH]

Any ideas? Thanks
    marty
    same problem here on max 2013 - tried all of the files hopefully to work, but didnt.. - is there a possibility to get it for 2013?
    Last edited by france123; 06-11-2015, 08:52 AM.

Comment

The V-Ray Triplanar texture will be in the nightly build from 2016.02.08.
      A couple of notes:

- the texture locator of the triplanar texture is not used in any way, there is a special Schematic connection slot for a reference object, where any locator (including a texture locator) can be connected to
      - just like in 3ds Max, if the "reference space" is set to "reference to another object", but no object is specified, world space is used
      - the Projection Type of the triplanar texture's sub-textures needs to be "UV map", the specified UV map is not actually used, but this is required for the triplanar texture to modify the sampling of its sub-textures

Greetings,
      Vladimir Nedev
      Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Just tried Triplanar texture and it looks great.
        I have workflow question/comment: is there a way to use triplanar texture for diffuse, bump, gloss ... without duplicating Triplanar texture in shader tree and setting it to each respective effect? Something like having one Triplanar texture node and connecting multiple images to it and having multiple effects - diffuse, bump etc.

Comment

You could instance the triplanar texture in the Shader tree and change only the effect of each instance.
          Then you can have the same or different source textures connected to each instance.
          You just need to remember to apply any changes to scale, blend, etc... on the original texture, so all instances are affected.
          I guess you know how instancing works in the shader tree, but I don't have any other ideas.

Greetings,
          Vladimir Nedev
          Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Ok, thanks. Do I have to change also input textures effect to bump if Triplanar texture is effecting bump?

Comment

No, only the effect of the triplanar texture needs to be changed to "bump", its sub-textures live in the Schematic, not the Shader Tree, so their effect isn't used.
              This is true for all sub-textures defined using Schematic connections.

Of course, you could add the sub-textures in the Shader Tree as well, in some other part of it, or just below the triplanar texture.
              In this case their effect will be used in that place in the Shader Tree, but will not affect the triplanar texture itself.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir.nedev View Post
                the Projection Type of the triplanar texture's sub-textures needs to be "UV map", the specified UV map is not actually used, but this is required for the triplanar texture to modify the sampling of its sub-textures
                Could you add this to the V-Ray for Modo documentation, please?

I couldn't get the triplanar texture to work and I actually tried different projection types for the sub-texture, just not 'UV map' because... hey, we're not working with UVs here
                I RTFM as much as possible, but this little detail isn't in the documentation. I do like the documentation very much overall, very clean and to the point.

Comment

Originally posted by neverko View Post
                  Could you add this to the V-Ray for Modo documentation, please?

I couldn't get the triplanar texture to work and I actually tried different projection types for the sub-texture, just not 'UV map' because... hey, we're not working with UVs here
                  I RTFM as much as possible, but this little detail isn't in the documentation. I do like the documentation very much overall, very clean and to the point.
                  Yes, I will relay this to the docs team. It is a gotcha, so pretty important to include in the docs. Thanks for reporting it.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Hi Vladimir,

first thing, the triplanar is awesome!! I use it more and more but dragging every texture to the schematic can be a little annoying, especially if you have like 7 texture for their respective effects. Wouldn´t it be nicer to just select the textures, hit triplanar and vray assigns it to each texture with uv´s enabled?

All the best
                    Christian

Comment

A little late, but I've added the V-Ray Triplanar options as an optional package to the Texture Locator item.

When the package is added and enabled, it will cause all textures using that texture locator to be wrapped in a V-Ray Triplanar texture.
                      Benefits of this setup:
                      1. no need to make Schematic connections;
                      2. the same texture locator can be used on many textures, which means the triplanar properties will be shared as well;
                      3. no need to manually set the texture locator's projection type to UV - the command that adds the V-Ray package will do it for you;

Some details/issues:
                      1. some textures make no sense to be wrapped in V-Ray Triplanar, like V-Ray Curvature, V-Ray Dirt, etc - for them the triplanar options are ignored;
                      2. V-Ray Layered / V-Ray Multi Sub have a texture locator, but don't actually use it. They will still get wrapped in a V-Ray Triplanar texture, if you specify
                      this in their texture locator, but you will have to individually change the projection mode of each sub-texture's texture locator to UV map
                      or results won't be what you expect;

Attached is a screen-shot of the new options in the UI.
                      Click on the Add V-Ray Triplanar button to add them.

Edit: these changes should be in the 2020.04.23 nightly build.

Greetings,
                      Vladimir Nedev

Comment

Thank you for this it will make the workflow much easier not having to go to the Schematic for tri-planars.

Comment

Thank you, this is quite a huge improvement in the workflow.

Comment

Hey that's really a cool place to put it too.

Comment

Working...
                            X