Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a better way to run multiple versions of V-Ray (stable and nightly)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a better way to run multiple versions of V-Ray (stable and nightly)?

I'd like to be able to launch modo with 2 different configs, at the same time: 1 running stable 3.5 and another running nightlies.

At the moment, I just installed 3.5 stable, renamed the folder, then installed the nightly. Every time I want to swap, I manually rename the folder.

This is a pain. Is there a better way to do this?
    Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

There is 2 things you need to change in order to load V-Ray for MODO from another location:
    - the VRAY_MODO_INSTALL_PATH environment variable
    - the cfg file located in %appdata%/Luxology/Configs/vray4modo.cfg

You can write a bat file to do both. Hopefully MODO doesn't keep vray4modo.cfg open, so you can start 2 instances of MODO using different V-Ray versions.

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

OK thanks for the clue Vladimir. I got this working running 2 instances of modo 11 side by side. One is rendering in 3.4 RT CPU and the other in 3.5 RT CPU at the same time

1. Installed 3.4, then renamed the directory to "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\MODO x64 3.4"
      2. Installed 3.5 and leave the directory as "C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\MODO x64"
      3. Make a copy of "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology" and call it "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology_Vr ay34 "
      4. Edit "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology_Vr ay34 \Configs\vray4modo.cfg" to point to the 3.4 directory:

Code:
      <import>C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\MODO x64 3.4/vray4modo</import>
      5. Create a batch file somewhere with this code:
      Code:
      [USER="216393"]echo[/USER] OFF
      SETLOCAL
      SET VRAY_MODO_INSTALL_PATH=C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\MODO x64 3.4
      start "" "C:\Program Files\Luxology\modo\11.0v3\modo.exe" "-config:C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology_Vray34" "-license:C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology_Vray34" "-path:user=C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Luxology_Vray34"
      6. Run the batch file - This will launch modo with vray 3.4
      7. Run another copy of modo using your standard shortcut - This will run modo with 3.5
      Attached Files
      Last edited by 1funk; 02-06-2017, 08:53 AM.
      I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Thank you for posting the detailed steps !

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Just bumping this because it may come in useful again. The list of my own posts wasn't showing it

Comment

Working...
          X