Animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation

I am learning the Animation workflow from this document written for 3ds max. I'd like some clarification so that I can get this complicated process understood and set up in my real project. My questions are numbered in reference to the sections in the document. Is there something similar to this already made for modo? or a video?

RENDERING A WALKTHROUGH ANIMATION

Part I: Calculating the Light Cache

1.7 For Modo , do what?

1.8 Is this in the VRay Sun/Sky tab? Filter Color?

1.9 Is this in the VRay Sun/Sky tab? Intensity Multiplier?

1.10 Is this the same as disabling Use Lights?

1.11 Modo camera doesn’t offer Fish Eye. Alternative?

1.12 Dont know these settings in modo. Was is fisheye “More interesting” That sounds subjective. Is there a “correct”camera type to use?

1.22 Default is .85. Do I need to change it back at some point to the .85?

1.25: DO we ever reduce the Light Cache subdivs back to a lower setting for step 3? Or is light cashce done here.

Part II: Irradiance Map

2.0 It makes no mention of it, but should Use Lights be turned back on now?

2.0 Does Image Sampler change back to Adaptive yet?

What is back burner? Is this analogous to sending a single frame to a second slave to process? As long as its on one machine, it s fine?

Part III: Final Render of Animation

Fewer steps, makes sense, but I feel like not all the settings have been addressed for this step. Some things like Use Lights needs to be turned back on, no?

Do I need all the Denoiser channels for the ONLY Step 3?

At what step should the Bloom/Glare be enabled? I assume at least at Step 3.

Turn off Use Lights? Why are the lights in the scene turned off for Steps 1 & 2? Don’t they contribute to IC? What about scenarios like bathrooms with no windows?

If my Environment is driven by an HDRI, should I leave that on instead of setting Sky Color as step 1.8 & 1.9 Instruct?

Should displacement be disabled?

Should I be using Multipass always? what are the pros and cons with this setting?

What is Show GI Only used for? just to preview? Should I have that on for Step 2?

Detail Enhancement? When is this used?

Questions on Final Notes from the document:

Notes:

“We are not using glossy reflections in this scene, but if you are using them and not using the Use light cache for glossy rays option at the same time, then you can set the Secondary GI engine to None for the final animation. This is because you won't need the light cache and turning it off will save memory.”

Why would you not use glossy reflections?

Generally speaking, this workflow is so convoluted, I can’t imagine the amount of wasted time that could likely occur because of a mis-step in juggling the settings during the 3 steps. Can’t this all be done with some simple presets?

In my case, I tried to tackle this by using Pass Groups and Passes for my 3 camera paths in the scene. This allowed me to hack a method of creating Presets for the 3 steps. I guess I just need to manually save the Light Cache between step 1 & 2 and save the IC between Steps 2 & 3. Does this approach sound viable or is there flaw I am missing??

Please see the attached images for my Pass Group settings and let me know if I have anything wrong here.

Using this approach, I can render the Step 3 Final Render Cameras Pass Group at Step 3. Assuming I don’t have changes in my lighting between the 3 camera paths in the Pass Groups, do I only need to render one camera for Steps 2 and 3 to build LC & IM for the whole animation?

Thank you!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Danielhruby; 16-05-2018, 10:43 PM.

Hey, Daniel,

About the animation workflow, Check this way - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0i...Ru5JSuCRK/view

Cheers,
    Last edited by boyan; 17-05-2018, 05:36 AM.
    Boyan Nalchadjiiski | QA Engineer @ Chaos |
    E-mail: boyan.nalchadjiiski@chaos.com

Comment

Thank you, Boyan.

Similar, but I see you increased the size of the scene for the LC IM step. Didn't see that in the other tutorial. Makes sense.

Comment

Is there a need to keep on the Denoiser or is that fine to leave off until the final rendering? I don't need to worry about turning off my modo lighting as the tutorial instructs?

Comment

For the Light Cache, I see you waited and cancelled the rendering because you only need the light cache. Is there a way to render only the light cache and it will automatically stop?

Comment

And dont I need to enable "Store with Irradiance Map" on all my lights? for both Light Cache and Irradiance map? I dont quite understand why the author of the tutorial disables the Direct lighting before doing the light cache and then never re-enables the direct lighting in either of the subsequent steps.

Comment

That tutorial is pretty old I think.
              Why not render your animation using default settings ( brute force + light cache) (maybe increase light cache subdivs and retrace threshold, if you have flickering) with denoiser enabled in "only generate render elements" mode and then denoise the rendered sequence using our external denoiser tool, which can blend between several frames. You might be surprised by the quality of the result and you won't have to follow this complicated workflow with all the setting changes.

Greetings,
              Vladimir Nedev
              Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

For the light cache, you can follow these tips when rendering an animation : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...nginanimations
                Note that Use Camera Path option doesn't work correctly in V-Ray for Modo (most likely, I have an issue to check it), so don't use that.

These tips will help you avoid flickering in the secondary GI due to the light cache.
                For the primary GI, just use the external denoiser on the whole sequence.

Greetings,
                Vladimir Nedev
                Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Vladimir,

OK, I iwll give that a try. Although I am on mac using VRay for modo. I have no idea how to utilize the external Denoiser tool. I did find the vdenoise.bin file for it, but double clicking it seems to just un pack another zipped package called Vdenoise.cpgz. Double clicking a second time on that one, creates the first vdenoise.bin again.

There must be a standalone installer? Will my license still work with that?

Comment

You have to run the tool from the command line like this ./vdenoise.bin .
                    You have to be in the directory with the vdenoise.bin file.

Greetings,
                    Vladimir Nedev

Comment

OK, This part is a little beyond me. Is this a Windows app only? I am on mac at the moment, but will be adding a PC tomorrow. If this is something that can only be done on the PC, I will have to wait until I get up and running on that.

I know the Command line in modo, but I am not sure what my workflow would be. I see that the modo Frame Settings adds a Vray package with a field for Post Sequence commands. Could this be where I set that command and it will do the step after the sequence is complete?

Are there settings to worry about for the external denoiser?

Sorry for the necessary hand-holding! Thank you!
                      Last edited by Danielhruby; 18-05-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

1. Select denoiser mode "only generate render elements"
                        2. Render your animation saving to .exr or .vrimg format
                        3. Run the Terminal app and cd to /Applications/ChaosGroup/V-Ray/MODO_x64/bin ( if you are having trouble doing this, there should be a lot of tutorials online on how to run Terminal apps)
                        4. Run the ./vdenoise.bin on your rendered images, the help for the command line arguments is here : https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAYMODO/Standalone+Denoise+Tool+%7C+vdenoise#StandaloneDen oiseTool|vdenoise-CommandLineUsage
                        Note that this page mentions a GUI version of the tool, but I don't think that's in the V-ray 3.6 builds for Modo.

The command will look something like this : ./vdenoise.bin -inputFile="/Users/vlado/renders/testRender_????.exr"
                        This will denoise a whole sequence of files called testRender_0001.exr, testRender_0002.exr, testRender_0003.exr, etc.

Greetings,
                        Vladimir Nedev

Comment

OK, Almost seems easy, BUT, it doesn't seem to recognize my file path for my EXRs. Perhaps I have somehting wrong in the path? See attached file.

Comment

Can I execute this DeNoiser step by putting the command here.....

If so, I am not sure how to write the two commands in the single field. It would be nice if this worked since it would be automated.

Does the Denoiser just replace the existing EXR's or is there another output path to define for newly processed EXRs? Hopefully, using this commanline will just replace the raw EXRs with new ones. Otherwise, how would I specify the new output path ?
                            Last edited by Danielhruby; 19-05-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

I tried again with a new folder setup. Still seem to get an error about my file not existing, but you can see it is there. I actually option + right click on the file name and copy the path directly from the file and the paste it into the line of code you provided. I can tell that either command actually are doing anything here. The only difference I can see is that you have a "." at the beginning of your second command and the Standalone Denoiser manual shows the command without a period first. Regardless, neither seem to follow my file path.

Comment

Working...
                              X