• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command line fails to load V-Ray

When rendering through command line via renderpal this is what gets logged:

Scene has changed to 'V-Ray_SceneName.lxo'
    ! (selection) 1 Item
    ! (selection) 1 Item
    ! (messageDialogs) (Failed) - V-Ray | Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsUnitsInfo
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsRegionsGenerator
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type FilterLanczos
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsEnvironment
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsVFB
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsOutput
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type RenderView
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsCamera
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsCameraDof
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type CameraDefault
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type SettingsMotionBlur
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type LightDirectModo
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type Node
    Unable to create V-Ray plug-in of type Node
    Each of the machines have V-ray installed and can use/render in MODO
    the command line cmd used to set the render is
    Code:
    vray.render.animation group:{RenderPass}
    Has anyone run into this issue with V-Ray?

These kind of errors will happen if V-Ray for MODO cannot find the VRAY_MODO_INSTALL_PATH environment variable, which is set when V-Ray for MODO is installed.
    Maybe the environment variables are somehow modified for this particular modo_cl session ?

Greetings,
    Vladimir Nedev
    Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

Thanks for the quick response Vladimir!

How would I check the VRAY_MODO_INSTALL_PATH environment variable? I don't see anything in the V-Ray settings or configs.

The modo_cl session is always running under the user in which v-ray was installed.

Here is what the config is set to:
      Code:
      <configuration>
        <import>C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\MODO x64/vray4modo</import>
      </configuration>
      edit: I thought it may be that i was using 10.2v2 and switched to 10.2v1 and got the same problem.
      Last edited by FruehBird; 16-03-2017, 07:36 AM.

Comment

You can download Process Explorer, if you are on Windows. It lets you check the environment variables defined for each individual process.
        Just double-click on the MODO process in Process Explorer and go to the Environment tab.

I am guessing renderpal is doing something to the environment variables.
        Does it officially support for V-Ray for MODO ?
        You should probably contact them for more information, if that's possible.

Greetings,
        Vladimir Nedev
        Vantage developer, e-mail: vladimir.nedev@chaos.com , for licensing problems please contact : chaos.com/help

Comment

I tested it locally by opening modo_cl.exe and manually starting a render and got the same thing.
          It definitely seems to be the Global variable.

Regular MODO will load the variable but modo_cl does not tested on modo 902-10.2v2 and both on win7 and win10. Manually adding the global variable does not work.
          Would this be a MODO issue?

Here is a screenshot showing the variables via process explorer.

Comment

It must be something in the way you are starting modo_cl.exe. How do you start it exactly ?
            It's definitely working over here, since I use modo_cl for my automatic tests.

Greetings,
            Vladimir Nedev
            Last edited by vladimir.nedev; 16-03-2017, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Good to know it's working. Hopefully I can pinpoint why modo_cl is not working.

We are launching modo_cl two ways. For testing, just strait double clicking on modo_cl.exe (Got the error) and through renderPal (Also got the error) which launches moda via command-prompt using the following code:
              Code:
              "C:\Program Files\Luxology\modo\10.2v2\modo_cl.exe" -cmd:@c:\windows\temp\RpScript_14911_001.py -console:python
              Inside the python file is just some frame setting variable and the code:
              Code:
              vray.render.animation group:{RenderPassName}

Edit: Running the modo_cl.exe as admin will work. Just not when launching it by default.
              Edit2: Re-Installing V-Ray for MODO as administration does not work.
              Last edited by FruehBird; 16-03-2017, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Well, looks like I goofed up and it was a user error.
                The Global variable was not working due to not restarting windows after install.

Thank you for all your support Vladimir!

Comment

Originally posted by FruehBird View Post
                  The Global variable was not working due to not restarting windows after install.
                  That's strange, I didn't know you had to restart Windows for the env. variables to take effect.
                  Glad the issue has resolved itself.

Greetings,
                  Vladimir Nedev

Comment

I don't think a reboot is needed, just a log out and back in to the account
                    Win10 Pro 64 / AMD Ryzen 9 5950X / 128GB / RTX 3090 + 1080 Ti / MODO
                    I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live - Jesus Christ

Comment

Working...
                    X