Vray Next 4.0 beta standalone asset editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Next 4.0 beta standalone asset editor

How does one access the Vray Next 4.0 beta asset editor in standalone mode.

Opening asset editor through Revit loads C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Revit\asset-editor\neui4revit.exe as expected.

Running the above .exe directly does nothing.

Similarly opening .vrmat files with with the above .exe does not load anything.
    Hardware: Intel i9 9900k - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 & i7 10875H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Hey Anthony,

The editor is not standalone anymore. You launch it from the UI and all materials you create are saved within the Revit project itself. You can also save them as .vrmats for re-use in other projects (either by drag&dropping them from the mid-panel to the left panel or by using the Save as button at the bottom of the mid-panel).
    You can add .vrmat folders locations to the left panel and browse/modify the library directly.

As we are in beta, we still don't have all these features documented. Though, you can use the following pages as a guides to the Asset Editor functionalities (in terms of materials, it is consistent with V-Ray for SketchUp & Rhino):
    1. adding library locations: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...terial+Library
    2. materials: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VNFS/Materials

Please, let me know your concerns about the standalone mode.

Best,
    Ana
    Ana Lyubenova
    Product Manager
    V-Ray for Revit
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks that makes sense.

I ask about the standalone mode because I occasionally use .vrmats from Revit when porting projects to 3Ds Max. With the standalone editor it was easy to edit .vrmats when using them in 3Ds without having to open up Revit/Sketchup/Rhino etc.

From what I can see there is no way to do this anymore? 3Ds does not come with a standalone editor from what I can see.
      Hardware: Intel i9 9900k - 32 GB RAM - NVIDIA Quadro RTX 4000 & i7 10875H - 32GB RAM - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070

Comment

In the past, users could have multiple vrmat editor instances open simultaneously which was not good and quite often very confusing. On another hand, we've wanted to provide consistent workflow across SketchUp, Rhino and Revit because, as you know, V-Ray in Revit looks slightly different, slightly limited etc. To start this process, we had to rewrite the Asset Editor from scratch. And it's one of its specifics that it requires a host app in order to work.

I understand the issue you have and all I can say is that we are working to provide consistency in that regard too.
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks that makes sense.

Will an asset editor be included in the next release of V-Ray for 3Ds?

Comment

3Ds is out of my scope, so I can't say firmly yes or no. Besides it is essentially different compared to the AEC host apps. Though, if many enough users request it, I believe we can do something.
            Ana Lyubenova
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Revit
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ana Lyubenova View Post
              Though, if many enough users request it, I believe we can do something.
              Count me in as a requester. Our workflow involves me (the max user) supporting several dozen architects using Revit and Rhino with entourage, tech support, etc.

*Anything* that helps make the cross-platform experience more seamless is a win. I would love to be able to say one day that our offline rendering platform is simply "V-Ray", but the experience is still far too fragmented.

Comment

Working...
              X