Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3Ds Max Vray material to Revit Vray material

Hello

I have been using Revit for about 3 years now and I am interested in purchasing Vray for revit.

I have some questions.

1. The new file extensions for a V-Ray Material for Revit is ".vrmat". Why did you choose this file format?

2. The file extension for V-Ray Material for 3Ds Max is ".mat" correct?

3. Is it possible to convert a 3Ds max material .mat to .vrmat to use inside Revit? If so how?

4. Where can I purchase or download FREE .vrmat materials?

Thanks

John
    Last edited by Mrrevit; 14-12-2016, 02:31 PM.

If you're starting out with materials in max that are not vray materials then I believe first you need to convert them which you can read about here :
    https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...Rmat+Converter

But to export to .vrmat there is an option to "export VRMAT from scene material" This then will create those materials in whatever directory you want which should be loadable into revit as .vrmats. I don't know what menu this is under so you can either search for is with 'x' or add it to a vray menu you can create within max.

I think the .mat format is 3ds max's core material format which can represent any material that you make within 3ds including materials for other render engines. .vrmat is a more specific file type which, in max, can only be exported from a material that is under the vray rollout in the material editor. It's Vray's proprietary format essentially. The reasoning for this would seem to be for users like yourself to exchange exact materials between 2 software you are using vray inside of rather than having to worry about revit, max, modo, and blender using the same material system since they're not all made by the same companies. (This is my understanding so if anyone has a better or more accurate explanation feel free to correct)

For getting VRMats I would say flying architecture is a really good one that I trust and has a easy website to navigate with a solid material library. I don't know about whether or not they're physically based but they look really good.

Comment

Thanks for your reply Mxmiceli.

Maybe I should start from the beginning.

How do you create a .vrmat material to be used with Vray for Revit?

I do not have a copy of 3DS max but thought I should try to import those materials into Revit due to its popularity.

Is there another way to convert 3DS max materials into Vray format without having 3DS Max?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrrevit View Post
        How do you create a .vrmat material to be used with Vray for Revit?
        V-Ray for Revit has its own vrmat editor which you can use to create new V-Ray materials as well as to edit existing ones.
        Ana Lyubenova
        Product Manager
        V-Ray for Revit
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks Ana.

Is there a user manual or youtube that shows the steps.

Comment

I recommend you to watch first our quick start tutorials here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ckStart+Guides
            V-Ray for Revit help page is currently under development. However creating materials in V-Ray for Revit is quite similar to that in V-Ray for 3Ds max, so you can read about it here: https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...al+%7C+VRayMtl
            You can also browse on youtube where many 3D artists share different approaches.
            Ana Lyubenova
            Product Manager
            V-Ray for Revit
            www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
            X