Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bug list VfR 3.6

Hi,

I tested some of my problems from this old report here, but lot are still alive. I hope the next SR allow fixes of the most of them. I don't checked all, so, could be nice if the team looks at the old post too. General I wished we could talk about a more user friendly UI, a lot of clicks are needed and it's not easy to find options in the sub menus. The dark look is nice, a little bit new arrangement would help.

* frame buffer and asset editor create new entries at the Windows taskbar. This is a problem for users how are working on several projects at the same time. Quick jumps from one Rhino to the other Rhino task per Alt+Tab are not possible.
    * camera focus can't connected to the Rhino camera target, problem for workflow and animations
    * interactive render -> only 62%..74% CPU usage, never stops, CPU running for ever
    * new scene -> cube created -> DOF enabled -> manual changed focus distance cause brightness change of the render output
    * very missed: advanced camera and editing the Aperture without changing output brightness
    * button missing for automatic set tilt correction (like at VfR2), only manual tilt corretion?
    * render element Alpha missing for disabling (like at VfR2)
    * texture UI - no cancel button to leave the UI without changes; "back" sounds like "cancel", better would be something like "ok"
    * material environment overrides - each option is hidden within a sub menu, please use the simple global env override design here also
    * generic material - texture multiplier and texture and color are not at the same place (confusing, cause extra clicks)
    * global environment texture - preview doesn't work, in the past the horizon of the HDRI pano was visible, now it's a single color (?)
    * show calculation (IM/LC) option is missing and so it can't be disabled for rerendering over an exist output without to complete destroy the previous output
    * the option to load a material from the disk should open the last used folder for loading material like at VfR2, since most users will have a material library folder. At the moment the last used folder is used, for example if a texture is loaded at the project dir, than this dir is opened.
    * dir light - values of the radius slider much to high (usefull coud be a range from 0..1 in 0.05 steps, maybe finer [since it's not a really radius low values are needed])
    * radius slider range of all non dir lights could be higher, maybe 0..100

-----------------
    * material assign to layer ... long layer names are not shown
    * texture mapping wrong shown at the viewport, looks stretched outside the mapping widget
    * GPU of a simple scene like a box is running at 10%..60% only (GTX1080)
    * quality slider kills custom setup - please allow to free choose between presets and custom setup without to reset the custom setup
    * interpolation option of materials at "old" project files needs to internal reset

Four tabs per Rhino task (and I use several Rhino tasks most) Click image for larger version  Name:	ScreenShot9169.png Views:	1 Size:	11.2 KB ID:	981737
    Last edited by Micha; 28-01-2018, 01:25 AM.
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Originally posted by Micha View Post
    Hi,

* camera focus can't connected to the Rhino camera target, problem for workflow and animations

Man... this didnt get resolved? ...sigh... highly disappointed, I thought they said this would be taken care of?

Mine won't even load to test... just crashes rhino..

Comment

Hi Micha,

Thank you for the detailed list!

* frame buffer and asset editor create new entries at the Windows taskbar. This is a problem for users how are working on several projects at the same time. Quick jumps from one Rhino to the other Rhino task per Alt+Tab are not possible.
      > The VFB should be a sub-process and not a separate entities as in the image attached. The Asset Editor is not a sub-process and is normal to be listed separately. We'll look into ways to improving that in the future (if it's even possible). Click image for larger version  Name:	Taskbar_01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.4 KB ID:	981844

> We are still trying to design a good way of implementing dynamic focus.
      It's pretty easy for us to get the focus from the Rhino cam target but that's not ideal.
      Sometimes you want to change the focus based on a 3d point position and not the camera target.
      That's why we decided to change the current behavior when we have a concrete solution.

* interactive render -> only 62%..74% CPU usage, never stops, CPU running for ever
      > V-Ray core uses all the CPU resources available at any given time. Click image for larger version  Name:	Utilization.jpg Views:	1 Size:	197.1 KB ID:	981846

The screenshot was made during Interactive Rendering.
      > The Interactive rendering process was men't to go on forever. The reason is that you might introduce a change at any point in time and we have to react to it.
      If you want to do final frame rendering you'll have to use the Non-Interactive mode.

* new scene -> cube created -> DOF enabled -> manual changed focus distance cause brightness change of the render output
      > This is a physical camera behavior (built-in) that is based on the real-world camera behavior.
      We have addressed this in 3.6 with the possibility to disable Physical Exposure. Once you do so the focus will no longer change the image brightness.

* very missed: advanced camera and editing the Aperture without changing output brightness
      > This is once again possible by disabling Physical Exposure Click image for larger version  Name:	Exposure.jpg Views:	1 Size:	31.9 KB ID:	981847

* button missing for automatic set tilt correction (like at VfR2), only manual tilt corretion?
      > The button is still available on the V-Ray Toolbar or with the vrayCamGuessVerticsl command

> You can turn off alpha when the image is auto-saved to disk Click image for larger version  Name:	OutImageAlpha_01.PNG Views:	1 Size:	20.7 KB ID:	981848

* texture UI - no cancel button to leave the UI without changes; "back" sounds like "cancel", better would be something like "ok"
      > Canceling texture changes is not possible at this point since once you change an option it has to update interactively and gets serialized in the scene.
      We are designing a new way for this to be handled and a better workflow would be possible in the future.

* material environment overrides - each option is hidden within a sub menu, please use the simple global env override design here also
      > That is a good idea. This will make the UI simpler.

* generic material - texture multiplier and texture and color are not at the same place (confusing, cause extra clicks)
      > Having the multipliers together with the color/texture sliders makes the UI overwhelming.
      We have a couple of ideas how to make this simple and lean at the same time.
      It'll certainly be improved in the future

* global environment texture - preview doesn't work, in the past the horizon of the HDRI pano was visible, now it's a single color (?)
      > I'm not exactly sure what you mean here

* show calculation (IM/LC) option is missing and so it can't be disabled for rerendering over an exist output without to complete destroy the previous output
      > You have a point here. We'll add a checkbox for this

* the option to load a material from the disk should open the last used folder for loading material like at VfR2, since most users will have a material library folder. At the moment the last used folder is used, for example if a texture is loaded at the project dir, than this dir is opened.
      > Note taken. We haven't really thought about it but it can certainly be improved

* dir light - values of the radius slider much to high (usefull coud be a range from 0..1 in 0.05 steps, maybe finer [since it's not a really radius low values are needed])
      > Yes, the directional light shadow radius works with Radians right now which makes the value hard to guess. We can just change it to Degrees in the future

* radius slider range of all non dir lights could be higher, maybe 0..100
      > That is a possibility, yes

> We can improve that. Now the only way to see long names is to hover over a menu entry. The name should appear as a tooltip

* texture mapping wrong shown at the viewport, looks stretched outside the mapping widget
      > That is a known issue and we are already working on a fix

> the simple scene pixels reach final quality (the noise limit) quickly and then there is no reason for V-Ray for utilize the card or the CPU to it's max

* quality slider kills custom setup - please allow to free choose between presets and custom setup without to reset the custom setup
      > That is a great idea! We'll do it.

* interpolation option of materials at "old" project files needs to internal reset
      > We will fix this. Thanks for pointing it out

Regards,
      Konstantin

Comment

Hi Micha,

Thank you for the detailed list!
        >> Hi Kontantin, thank you too for your detailed answer. Sounds great. I'm happy to be dialog with you.

> The VFB should be a sub-process and not a separate entities as in the image attached. The Asset Editor is not a sub-process and is normal to be listed separately. We'll look into ways to improving that in the future (if it's even possible).
        >> This is one is a very important aspect. You want believe how many projects overlapping some times and it's not easy to keep the oversight on the screen. I'm very curious for an update.

It's pretty easy for us to get the focus from the Rhino cam target but that's not ideal.
        Sometimes you want to change the focus based on a 3d point position and not the camera target.
        That's why we decided to change the current behavior when we have a concrete solution.
        >> From the user side the decision wasn't a so good choice, since there was no problem. Better would be to add a flag option to link the focus and add a little script to move the camera target to a selected point on the scene (toolbar button). The big advantage: if the user recall a saved view the focus is right set. I will add the scripts at the end of the post. I use two scripts since years. Why do you think it's a problem to use the camera target as focus point?

> V-Ray core uses all the CPU resources available at any given time.
        >> It's a pity that so much CPU power is unused on my machine. I don't understand - will I don't get a better usage?

The screenshot was made during Interactive Rendering.
        > The Interactive rendering process was men't to go on forever. The reason is that you might introduce a change at any point in time and we have to react to it.
        If you want to do final frame rendering you'll have to use the Non-Interactive mode.
        >> I don't understand. Should the interactive render not stop to use the CPU after a while? Here it doesn't stop. So much CPU usage for no visual effect?

> This is a physical camera behavior (built-in) that is based on the real-world camera behavior.
        We have addressed this in 3.6 with the possibility to disable Physical Exposure. Once you do so the focus will no longer change the image brightness.
        >> Great, I have overseen this option. Thank you for adding it. (Is it physical correct that changing the focus cause a different exposure? Is it useful?)

> This is once again possible by disabling Physical Exposure
        >> Yes, that help me. In the past I was gone this way always.

> The button is still available on the V-Ray Toolbar or with the vrayCamGuessVerticsl command
        >> I found it now. Thank you. (Wish: general it could be nice to get an auto mode too. I have seen it at Enscape and it was nice working for camera animations.)

> You can turn off alpha when the image is auto-saved to disk
        >> OK, in the past it was available for simple manual save too and it was useful. For example: during a project I need to save a lot of images. Often I don't need an alpha effect or the alpha output. Simple disable the output was great and would be great again. Also for Bongo animations. Why should the user fight against all the alpha images and the alpha effect on the saved frames? Please bring back an output channel option.

> Canceling texture changes is not possible at this point since once you change an option it has to update interactively and gets serialized in the scene.
        We are designing a new way for this to be handled and a better workflow would be possible in the future.
        >> Interactively update sounds great. And if the user don't like his new setup than a cancel option that recall the previous setup would be a nice addition.

> That is a good idea. This will make the UI simpler.
        >> I'm glad to hear that we can talk about the UI. Thank you. To much clicks is one of my big problems with the new UI. I'm working some times 16h per day on VfR2 and I afraid, I will be lost in all the sub menus if I would use VfR3.x.

> I'm not exactly sure what you mean here
        >> I can't see a part of the HDRI environment anymore. At VfR2 I see a part of the image horizon. At the first VfR3 version the pole was shown (not useful) and now it looks like a single color. Do you see a preview of your HDRI environment at the texture editor?

> Note taken. We haven't really thought about it but it can certainly be improved
        >> Switching between paths is big problem, also at VfR2. It cost a lot of time and destroy the workflow. I quick help would be very appreciated.

> Yes, the directional light shadow radius works with Radians right now which makes the value hard to guess. We can just change it to Degrees in the future
        >> Yes, degree would be nice, but radian is ok. I learned to live with it. The point is, only the sliders works in the wrong range at the moment. A fix should be very easy.

> We can improve that. Now the only way to see long names is to hover over a menu entry. The name should appear as a tooltip
        >> An improvement would very appreciated by a lot of users.

> the simple scene pixels reach final quality (the noise limit) quickly and then there is no reason for V-Ray for utilize the card or the CPU to it's max
        >> I can't test it at the moment again, but I think I checked it. You get nearly 100%?

> That is a great idea! We'll do it.
        >> Thank you.

> We will fix this. Thanks for pointing it out
        >> Great, thank you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Script for set camera target:

-_RunScript (
        ' Tested with Rhino3 SR4 only.
        ' Moves a perspective projection view's target plane to pass through a given point.
        ' Affected view is that which is active when the script is launched.
        ' User is prompted to pick a point, in any view, through which the initial view's
        ' target plane is to pass.
        ' Last modified - 2006 September 30

Option Explicit

MoveTargetPlane

Sub MoveTargetPlane()
        Dim viewName
        Dim targetCPlane
        Dim userPoint, userPointCP
        Dim newTargetPoint, newTargetPointCP
        Dim cameraPoint
        Dim cameraUp
        viewName = Rhino.CurrentView
        If Not Rhino.IsViewPerspective(viewName) Then
        Rhino.Print "MoveTargetPlane works in perspective projection views only."
        Exit Sub
        End If
        userPoint = Rhino.GetPoint("Pick point in desired target plane")
        Rhino.CurrentView viewName
        If IsNull(userPoint) Then
        Rhino.Print "No point was picked."
        Exit Sub
        End If
        Rhino.EnableRedraw False
        targetCPlane = GetViewTargetCPlane(viewName)
        userPointCP = Rhino.XformWorldToCPlane(userPoint, targetCPlane)
        newTargetPointCP = Array(0,0,userPointCP(2))
        newTargetPoint = Rhino.XformCPlaneToWorld(newTargetPointCP, targetCPlane)
        cameraPoint = Rhino.ViewCamera(viewName)
        cameraUp = Rhino.ViewCameraUp(viewName)
        Rhino.ViewCameraTarget viewName, cameraPoint, newTargetPoint
        Rhino.ViewCameraUp viewName, cameraUp
        Rhino.Print "Target plane moved by " & CStr(Abs(newTargetPointCP(2))) & " units."
        Rhino.EnableRedraw True
        End Sub

Function GetViewTargetCPlane(viewName)
        GetViewTargetCPlane = Null
        If Not Rhino.IsView(viewName) Then Exit Function
        Dim initialActiveView
        Dim initialViewCPlane
        Dim targetCPlane
        initialActiveView = Rhino.CurrentView(viewName)
        initialViewCPlane = Rhino.ViewCPlane(viewName)
        Rhino.Command "_CPlane _View", False
        targetCPlane = Rhino.ViewCPlane(viewName)
        Rhino.ViewCPlane viewName, initialViewCPlane
        Rhino.CurrentView initialActiveView
        GetViewTargetCPlane = targetCPlane
        End Function
        )

Comment

Script for temporary shown a focus plane (I use undo if I have seen the focus plane.)

-_RunScript (
          ' Tested with Rhino3 SR4 only.
          ' Draws a 30% transparent plane on a perspective projection view's target plane.
          ' Affected view is that which is active when the script is launched.
          ' The drawn plane fills the view. Selection state of objects is unaffected.
          ' Last modified - 2006 September 30

Option Explicit

DrawTargetPlane 30

Sub DrawTargetPlane(transparency)
          Dim viewName
          Dim initialViewCPlane
          Dim targetCPlane
          Dim nearClipPlaneTopLeft, nearClipPlaneTopLeftCP
          Dim cameraCP
          Dim nearToTargetFactor
          Dim targetTopLeftCP, targetBottomRightCP
          viewName = Rhino.CurrentView
          If Not Rhino.IsViewPerspective(viewName) Then
          Rhino.Print "DrawTargetPlane works in perspective projection views only."
          Exit Sub
          End If
          initialViewCPlane = Rhino.ViewCPlane(viewName)
          Rhino.EnableRedraw False
          Rhino.Command "_CPlane _View", False
          targetCPlane = Rhino.ViewCPlane(viewName)
          nearClipPlaneTopLeft = Rhino.XformScreenToWorld(Array(0,0))
          nearClipPlaneTopLeftCP = Rhino.XformWorldToCPlane(nearClipPlaneTopLeft, targetCPlane)
          cameraCP = Rhino.XformWorldToCPlane(Rhino.ViewCamera(viewName ), targetCPlane)
          nearToTargetFactor = cameraCP(2) / (cameraCP(2) - nearClipPlaneTopLeftCP(2))
          targetTopLeftCP = VectorScale(nearClipPlaneTopLeftCP, nearToTargetFactor)
          targetTopLeftCP(2) = 0
          targetBottomRightCP = VectorNegate(targetTopLeftCP)
          AddTransparentPlane targetTopLeftCP, targetBottomRightCP, transparency
          Rhino.ViewCPlane viewName, initialViewCPlane
          Rhino.EnableRedraw True
          End Sub

Sub AddTransparentPlane(topLeft, bottomRight, transparency)
          Dim initialSelectedObjects
          initialSelectedObjects = Rhino.SelectedObjects(True)
          Rhino.UnselectAllObjects
          Rhino.Command ("_Plane " & Rhino.Pt2Str(topLeft, 12, True) & Rhino.Pt2Str(bottomRight, 12)), False
          If Rhino.LastCommandResult <> 0 Then
          Rhino.Print "Error adding plane."
          Else
          Rhino.FirstObject True
          Rhino.Command ("_-Properties _Material _Object _Enter _Transparency " & transparency & " _Enter _Enter"), False
          Rhino.UnselectAllObjects
          End If
          If IsArray(initialSelectedObjects) Then
          Rhino.SelectObjects initialSelectedObjects
          End If
          End Sub

Function VectorNegate(v)
          VectorNegate = Null
          If Not IsArray(v) Or (UBound(v) <> 2) Then Exit Function
          VectorNegate = Array(-v(0), -v(1), -v(2))
          End Function

Function VectorScale(v, d)
          VectorScale = Null
          If Not IsArray(v) Or (UBound(v) <> 2) Then Exit Function
          If Not IsNumeric(d) Then Exit Function
          VectorScale = Array(v(0) * d, v(1) * d, v(2) * d)
          End Function
          )

Comment

I agree heavily with Micha here. The "new way" creates more problems than it solves. I would politely suggest using the older method based on Rhino's camera target since it was fine for all of us for over 10 years and doesn't create the serious problems that this does.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Serio_cg View Post
              >
              I agree heavily with Micha here. The "new way" creates more problems than it solves. I would politely suggest using the older method based on Rhino's camera target since it was fine for all of us for over 10 years and doesn't create the serious problems that this does.
              Hi Travis Serio_cg,

We'll make sure to have at least the option to use cam target as a focus for our next release.
              The option for using 3d point in space instead is something that we'll experiment with as well.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Regards,
              Konstantin

Comment

Thanks Konstantin

For now what I have been doing on each animation frame is using the visSetFocusPoint and passing O for object on a selected object in a script where I want the focus point to keep it from going goofy. It's more work, but it's the only work around i've got for now.This also means that I can't use any of Rhino's native animation tools and have to write my own in order to incorporate this which is basically what I have done.
                Last edited by Travis Serio_cg; 30-01-2018, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Travis Serio_cg View Post
                  Thanks Konstantin

For now what I have been doing on each animation frame is using the visSetFocusPoint and passing O for object on a selected object in a script where I want the focus point to keep it from going goofy. It's more work, but it's the only work around i've got for now.This also means that I can't use any of Rhino's native animation tools and have to write my own in order to incorporate this which is basically what I have done.
                  You can rest assured that the focus issue will be resolved soon.
                  It's already in development:
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	CamFocus_01.png
Views:	49
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	982142
                  That's my current work in progress version.

We'll add 2 new options:
                  > Use the camera target
                  > Fixed point in 3d space. It's distance to the current camera position will be measured on render start and will set the focus.

This way you'll not be limited to using the target.

Regards,
                  Konstantin

Comment

Perfect! This looks like the right way forward! Thanks! Now if I could just get 3.6 to load without crashing Rhino, ill be doing great.

Comment

Working...
                    X