Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aaouviz bug list 3.6

Hi All,

Some big improvements with 3.6, however plenty of old bugs (among new) remain, unfortunately.

1. Re-rendering after doing a region render (and turning off region render) sometimes still results in only the region being rendered. This also happened in earlier versions.
    2. Weird artifacts rendered when rendering with a a *.vrscene (with swarm on). See screenshot. Whats happening here is that the tree (a vrscene proxy) was imported, then scaled up 10x. My render slave still rendered this proxy as if the smaller version of it is still there. (The buckets where the smaller tree is rendered correlate with the slave render boxes.) The latest versions of vray/swarm/Licence Manager are installed on both machine.
    3. Still issues with the rhino command line being unresponsive when typing due to V4R. This is a MAJOR issue that needs hotfixing immediately and has already been reported many times in the past.
    4. Pressing the 'show vfb' button doesnt bring the VFb when it is minimized.
    5. The arrow created with dome light is facing the wrong way?

And some comments:
    A. It'd be really, really, great if the materials could be imported and edited when importing vrscenes. I love this feature, but it's currently very limiting.

More bugs and comments on the way...!

Click image for larger version

Name:	02.png
Views:	192
Size:	324.0 KB
ID:	983355

Additions...

6. I press render and go to chrome (or any other program) to browse; only to have the VFB appear on top suddenly, so I close it. It reappears soon after, close again, then it reappears for a 3rd and final time. It dominates the screen and continually readjusts its size.
    7. Explorer pop-up for BMP file section always appears behind vray asset browser - incredibly annoying
    8. Right clicking on a material in the list makes it 'active' but isn't highlighted - this is confusing!
    10. Mateial UI; Apply to layer is still difficult to use! Although the size is slightly increased, we need more!

Comment

11. It seems the Rhino file doesn't remember the settings of the VFB Corrections Panel. I'm not sure if it's being lost after a rhino restart, computer restart, or file "save as", but I'm generally losing the corrections (in a single project file). My understanding is that the settings in the corrections panel should remain glued to the Rhino file, yes?

Comment

12. A big one: I reported this bug back sometime back when either 3.0 or 3.4 was released. It was fixed, but now its back again...!
        When rendering with Swarm, the slave machine renders lights that are turned off. This is easy to replicate.

Comment

Hi aaouviz,

Thank you for taking the time to put together this list.

1. Re-rendering after doing a region render (and turning off region render) sometimes still results in only the region being rendered. This also happened in earlier versions.
          This is really strange and I can't reproduce it.
          Can you please list the exact steps that cause it?

2. Weird artifacts rendered when rendering with a a *.vrscene (with swarm on). See screenshot. Whats happening here is that the tree (a vrscene proxy) was imported, then scaled up 10x. My render slave still rendered this proxy as if the smaller version of it is still there. (The buckets where the smaller tree is rendered correlate with the slave render boxes.) The latest versions of vray/swarm/Licence Manager are installed on both machine.
          We have been able to reproduce this behavior here.
          At first glance it appears to be V-Ray core issue and if that's case there is not much we can do on the Rhino side.
          I'll run some more tests and let you know if we have a fix or a workaround.

3. Still issues with the rhino command line being unresponsive when typing due to V4R. This is a MAJOR issue that needs hotfixing immediately and has already been reported many times in the past.
          The reason: The V-Ray Asset Editor is a different process and it takes the focus away form Rhino. You'll experience the same if you open the Rhino Help window for example.
          Because of that there is no trivial fix.
          We can possibly implement a shortcut that brings the focus back to Rhino.
          Do you think this is worth doing?

4. Pressing the 'show vfb' button doesnt bring the VFb when it is minimized.
          That is correct. We'll try to automatically maximize the window if that's even possible.

5. The arrow created with dome light is facing the wrong way?
          The arrow points at the spherical texture center point.
          You can test that by:
          > Load the map in an image viewer
          > Load the same map in a Dome light and orient the camera in the direction of the arrow
          > The center of the rendered map will match the center of the source image

6. I press render and go to chrome (or any other program) to browse; only to have the VFB appear on top suddenly, so I close it. It reappears soon after, close again, then it reappears for a 3rd and final time. It dominates the screen and continually readjusts its size.
          That is again something I'm unable to reproduce.
          Can you record a video showing this in action?

7. Explorer pop-up for BMP file section always appears behind vray asset browser - incredibly annoying
          Yes, we are still improving the window ordering. We are well aware it's far from ideal.
          In any case thanks for pointing it out.
          In most cases if the browser window pops up behind a simple click on the Asset Editor should bring it back on top.

8. Right clicking on a material in the list makes it 'active' but isn't highlighted - this is confusing!
          It actually doesn't become active. It's just its right-click menu options that appear.
          This is done intentionally to let you execute material actions (use as replacement for example) without forcing a swatch re-render.
          It can easily be changed.

10. Mateial UI; Apply to layer is still difficult to use! Although the size is slightly increased, we need more!
          We have been experimenting with different solutions for this but there is still no perfect one.
          We'll do our best to improve it further.

11. It seems the Rhino file doesn't remember the settings of the VFB Corrections Panel. I'm not sure if it's being lost after a rhino restart, computer restart, or file "save as", but I'm generally losing the corrections (in a single project file). My understanding is that the settings in the corrections panel should remain glued to the Rhino file, yes?
          The color corrections are saved with the file and should be loaded properly.
          We found this one bug: If you copy and paste geometry from one project to another the color corrections of the source file get copied as well.
          It should be resolved in our next release.

12. A big one: I reported this bug back sometime back when either 3.0 or 3.4 was released. It was fixed, but now its back again...!
          When rendering with Swarm, the slave machine renders lights that are turned off. This is easy to replicate.
          We'll have to test this and I'll get back to you.

Thanks once again. This feedback really helps us so keep it coming.

Regards,
          Konstantin

Comment

Thanks Konstantin, appreciate the feedback.

A few things:
            1. Yes, this happens sporadically. I'll see if I can either capture it or work out a cause.

2. Ok. What I've figured out - as a small workaround for others to use, is that if I import the vrscene, then immediately convert it to a block, I can edit the size, position of the block without this bug happening. EDIT: I don't think actually helps at all, upon further testing!

3. Hrmm. I'm sorry, but I don't necessarily agree. I notice this bug mostly once I open a second instance of Rhino. I don't think it ever really happens when using a single instance of Rhino + Vray (if I have 2 opened, then close one, it continues to happen. I have to do a rhino restart for the bug not to occur.) It also occurs when the asset editor is closed. Sometimes it takes 2-3 clicks in the rhino viewport to get the cursor to be active again in the command line. I do like your idea of implementing a shortcut, but this is essentially the same thing as clicking in the rhino view-port, anyway?

5. Ah, ok clear! At least there is logic here It's just that HDRI (skies, at least) generally have the sun positioned in the middle of the image. Therefore it means the arrow then is facing the wrong way. What's also confusing, is that the bold line on the dome was previously a great indicator of which way to orient the dome light, but now its on the other side/direction of the arrow. Perhaps the bold line and arrow could be on the same side of the dome? Nit-picky, I know... Sorry!

6. Yes, I will capture this for you when I find a bit more spare time.

8. What I meant is as follows: I have "Bricks" material selected. In the material list I right click on "Concrete"... "Concrete" doesn't get highlighted (I now understand why, this is actually a smart solution on your behalf!), but if I chose the "apply to layer" after this right click, it will apply "Concrete". This is slightly counter-intuitive (and now how Windows OS UI generally works) as the highlighted one doesn't get applied. This could be problematic if I accidentally click 1 pixel too high on the list and don't realize it. Maybe a 'soft' highlight could be applied to the material in the list that is right-clicked but not active? I know it's a small thing, but perhaps re-visiting.

12. This is continuing to happen. I reported it in the forums a while back, and someone helped me through it a lot and it was eventually fixed. (I'm unable to find the forum thread though, unfortunately)

Additional comments:
            B. Why must we select the fur widget when 'unlinking fur". Surely V-ray should be smart enough to figure out that the fur already attached to the object is indeed the one we want to unlink?
            Last edited by aaouviz; 14-02-2018, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Additional bug:
              13. When I copy paste a dome light from one rhino file to another, it creates two instances of the dome in the list lister. Only one of these is visible in the rhino viewport.

Comment

14. When saving images out of the VFB, it takes a REALLY long time to save the images. Is it just me? (I'm saving to PNG)

Comment

15. Animation bug: I've just tested out animations for the first time. I'm getting a strange bug where the camera target suddenly alters path for unknown reasons. This causes a huge amount of motion blur. See the attached screenshots; the first is rendered as expected, then on frame 24 the bug starts happening constantly. Click image for larger version  Name:	02.0000.png Views:	1 Size:	655.9 KB ID:	984322
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	02.0032.png Views:	2 Size:	599.2 KB ID:	984321

This animation is set up as a still with 100 frame (the still camera path was created from 2 points). The water is created with an altered vrmat file (as discussed in this forum) with the water texture applied to both bump and displacement.

If more info is needed, I can upload a gif of the bug - it looks like the scene is experiencing an earthquake! The camera target jitters a lot, increasing with each frame!

I tried another animation, this time with the camera and target on a path.. the same thing happened.

Edit: I tested this again with DOF and Motion Blur turned off, and got the same flickering result (the camera target jumps around a lot, increasing in intensity)

Edit 2: I've uploaded a gif here.
                  Last edited by aaouviz; 19-02-2018, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Current nightly build (vray_adv_360494-develop_rhino_5_win_x64)

- When I'm in the RGB colour picker, if I press TAB, it doesn't take from the Red to Green channel (as it should, and as it always has) but instead make the HSV inputs active. It takes 2 hits of the TAB button to get from Red input to Green input. Please fix
                    - WHY when I choose the Temperature texture, does it by default have RGB colour mode set, rather than Temperature mode? If I wanted colour, I'd just choose the Colour texture... right? More unnecessary clicks to get the Temperature mode....Another easily fix I presume!

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by aaouviz View Post
                      - When I'm in the RGB colour picker, if I press TAB, it doesn't take from the Red to Green channel (as it should, and as it always has) but instead make the HSV inputs active. It takes 2 hits of the TAB button to get from Red input to Green input. Please fix
                      This has already been fixed in the nightlies. Tab and Shift+Tab move to the next/previous number field as expected.
                      It will surely make it in the next release.

Originally posted by aaouviz View Post
                      - WHY when I choose the Temperature texture, does it by default have RGB colour mode set, rather than Temperature mode? If I wanted colour, I'd just choose the Colour texture... right? More unnecessary clicks to get the Temperature mode....Another easily fix I presume!
                      That's right, even though the temperature lets you multiply the color and exceed a color value of 1.
                      The color mode was just the default in V-Ray and that's why we went with it.

Regards,
                      Konstantin

Comment

Current nightly build (vray_adv_360502-develop_rhino_5_win_x64):

- Every time I try to use Batch render on a particular project, rhino crashes when I try to 'open' a file to add to the list....It works when I try very simple test scenes, but the 4 scenes I'm trying to load for the batch are all 400+ meg.
                        EDIT: This was overcome by opening a fresh rhino project and adding the patch process from there (rather than through one of the files I wished to render from).

- How can I save all channels when doing batch render? I can't find this...
                        Last edited by aaouviz; 22-03-2018, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Hi,

The misplaced VRScene Swarm problem has been finally located!
                          We have fixed it and it'll make it in the next nightly.
                          ----------------------
                          - Every time I try to use Batch render on a particular project, rhino crashes when I try to 'open' a file to add to the list....It works when I try very simple test scenes, but the 4 scenes I'm trying to load for the batch are all 400+ meg.
                          EDIT: This was overcome by opening a fresh rhino project and adding the patch process from there (rather than through one of the files I wished to render from).
                          Which version are you using for batch rendering?
                          Keep in mind that we have reworked the Batch tool all together and the new one will make it in the next VRay version.

- How can I save all channels when doing batch render? I can't find this...
                          Can you give some more details about this?

Regards,
                          Konstantin

Comment

Awesome, that's big news! Thanks.

Originally posted by konstantin_chaos View Post

Can you give some more details about this?
                            I did an overnight batch render, it all went well (4 files with each with a single view). However, when Vray/Rhino saved the render it only saved the RGB (I didn't have glare/bloom enabled) and none of the other channels (denoiser, alpha, reflections etc...). These were all enabled in the settings. Were they saved at all, was I supposed to choose an option to have them saved? Usually they'd be saved by default.

Comment

HI,

I did an overnight batch render, it all went well (4 files with each with a single view). However, when Vray/Rhino saved the render it only saved the RGB (I didn't have glare/bloom enabled) and none of the other channels (denoiser, alpha, reflections etc...). These were all enabled in the settings. Were they saved at all, was I supposed to choose an option to have them saved? Usually they'd be saved by default.
                              If you're using a nightly, then the files have been saved but not copied to their final destination.
                              This has been resolved.

In the meantime:
                              You can go to %temp%\BatchRender... folder and you'll find them there.

Konstantin

Comment

Working...
                              X