Rhino Hangs After Closing Asset Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhino Hangs After Closing Asset Editor

Often when I close the asset editor Rhino hangs. Sometime it briefly hangs and sometimes is seems to fall in some loop where I must close Rhino to get out of it. After I close the asset editor I am unable to click anything in Rhino. A minimized window shows up at the top left corner of my screen and stays there for some amount of time then goes away and then comes back. This loop only happens when I close the asset editor and possibly only when I edit a material. I cant remember a case of it doing it after changing render settings. Any help would be appreciated it has made working very frustrating.

When this happens Rhino uses 100% of one core. So my 8 core machine shows a constant 12.5% (ish) CPU usage.

Thanks.
    Last edited by cmascari; 15-05-2018, 11:42 AM.

Hi,

Could you please provide some additional information?
    - What type of V-Ray licensing do you use? Dongle, local or remote license server?
    - What is the full version of Rhino and V-Ray for Rhino? Please provide screenshots of the 'About' windows.
    - What is your operating system?
    - Are you using any other 3rd party plugins? Is the issue reproducible with all but the V-Ray plugin disabled?
    - Does this occur with specific project or after specific actions?
    Last edited by georgi.georgiev; 16-05-2018, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Hello Georgi,

V-Ray Licensing: Remote License Server
      Rhino Version: 6.418124.12321
      Vray Version: 3.60.02
      Windows 10 64bit
      No other plugins are installed.

I have been able recreate the problem in new scenes and have a little more info about how to create it. The issue happens immediately after closing the asset editor if you just created or edited a material. If you open the asset editor and change render setting or lights the issue does not occur. I think the complexity of the scene effects the amount of time that Rhino hangs after closing the editor. If I create a new scene and create a few objects there is no issue, however if I create a 10x10x10 array of boxes (1000 objects) then explode them into polysurfaces and then change the material, the issue becomes apparent. In the more complex scene in which I originally noticed the problem it hangs for a very long time, five plus minutes.

Let me know if I can provide you any more info.

Thanks,
      Chris

Comment

I found a work around to the problem that might shed some light on the cause of the issue. The issue does not occur if you are in wireframe or shaded viewport display mode. The issue appears to be related to textures/materials being visible in the viewport. I have a custom viewport display mode that I have been using for many years with no issues. That viewport display mode has materials visible in the viewport. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thank you for the extensive and thorough feedback!

Please try the following:

Disable the V-Ray plugin and work only with Rhino's material editor. Again explode a 1000 boxes into 6000 faces, assign or change their material texture and let us know if the hang is reproducible?

Additionally, we could arrange a TeamViewer session to further investigate the behavior and provide you with assistance.

Comment

Thanks. Yes, you are right, it appears to be a Rhino issue because it is exactly reproducible with just Rhino materials. I will bring this over to the Rhino forum. Do you have any direct lines to the Rhino developers in which you could bring this to their attention? Thanks for your help.

Comment

Please be informed that we have reason to believe that this is expected behavior, since complex projects do require extensive amount of processing time to update such changes.

Comment

I still think there is some other issue here, it is not normal behavior.

1. I have never had an issue with this in the past and have been using Rhino + VRay for many years since it was released. I cannot pinpoint exactly when it all started but its safe to say it was not present in Rhino 5.
                2. Simply creating a material causes the problem to occur. It is not even necessary to apply the material to an object so I'm not sure what it would be processing. Even if you make a change to a material that is not present in the scene it still hangs.
                3. All in all the model I'm working with is actually not that complex, its actually pretty simple.

Thanks,
                Chris

Comment

Also turning off Advanced Texture Preview under the Shading Setting of the Display Options appears to fix the issue. Not sure what is lost turning this off but it seems to solve the problem.

Comment

Would it be alright to arrange a remote session to further investigate this? Please email us at support@chaosgroup.com and advise when it would be a convenient time and day for you to set up the meeting.

Kindly note that we are available Monday to Friday between 11:00 and 18:00 EEST. This Thursday (May 24th) is an official holiday so we will be out of the office.

Comment

Yes, thank you. Will schedule.

Comment

Hello. Is there any further info on this investigation? I seem to have the same issue. I was experiencing very 'slow' interactivity (new material, material change updates, and stopping render). Luckily disabling 'Advanced Texture Preview' as cmascari suggested has seemed to fix it after a couple hours testing.
                        Last edited by nart; 20-06-2018, 12:35 PM.

Comment

nart Our developers are actively investigating this issue and possibly a solution will be implemented in the next major update.

Comment

Ok thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X