Animated water?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated water?

Just playing around today, thought I'd try to animate water.... failing big time so far.

Does Vray 3.4 have this capability? I tried the 'noise' setting for a bitmap texture, no luck. I tried to procedural water texture, no luck.

I'm setting these up and doing a standard rhino path animation render. This there some sort of other setting I need to activate, or something else I'm missing... Or is this just beyond the capability of v4r 3.4 at the moment?

Any ideas welcome

Hi aaouviz,

Rendering animated textures is not currently possible (in 3.4).
    The issue is that when you setup a standard animation in Rhino V-Ray doesn't know that it is actually rendering something animated.
    From the V-Ray standpoint, Rhino is calling the Render command at frame 1 multiple times...

The good news is that we'll be releasing 3.6 SP update soon which will address this issue.
    The new workflow will let V-Ray 'record' the animation and then render it as if it's done in 3ds Max for example.
    With it everything that's animated will be rendered as expected (textures, proxies ...).
    As a bonus the scene will not be re-exported for every animation frame which will optimize animation rendering significantly (especially in big scenes).

Once the update is out I'll send you some info on how the animation can be set up.

Regards,
    Konstantin

Comment

Excellent news! Thanks Konstantin. Very much looking forward to 3.6....I might even post my results. Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by aaouviz View Post
        Excellent news! Thanks Konstantin. Very much looking forward to 3.6....I might even post my results. Cheers,
        Hi aaouviz,

V-Ray 3.60.01 for Rhino is out.
        The workflow that I've previously suggested is now possible.

You can let me know what you think once you try it.

Regards,
        Konstantin

Comment

Thanks mate... excited to use it! Though just my luck: 3.6 is released at the beginning of my holiday so I'll have to wait extra long to give it a try

Comment

Hey Konstantin,

I'm unable to figure this out still (with 3.6).

I vaguely remember seeing somewhere an 'animated' set of options for noise textures (perhaps this was in a sketch-up features webinar or something?)

Any tips? Cheers!

Comment

Hi aaouviz,

The animated water can be setup with a V-Ray water texture used as bump or displacement map.
              It is animated by default but unfortunately its movement is quite slow out of the box and the speed can't be changed from the UI.
              This is something I completely forgot about and that I'll make sure is exposed in our next release.

In the meantime here's what you can do to make it work:
              > Setup a material with a Water texture as a bump map (or displacement)
              > Set the Bump Amount parameter to a big number like 100 since otherwise the map effect will be quite small
              > Tweak the water parameters to your liking
              > Save out the material as a .vrmat
              > Open the .vrmat in a text editor and search for a property named 'movement_rate'
              Click image for larger version

Name:	MovementRate_01.png
Views:	814
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	983538
              > Change the <value>...</value> to something bigger (I did my tests with 100)
              > Save the file and load it in Rhino
              > The other parameters of the water will still be available for edits. The movement rate will be applied (and still not visible) based on your edits
              > Setup Rhino animation and let V-Ray record it
              > Render the animation...

Here's a short video showing my test setup:

You'll find the edited water .vrmat material in the video description.

Hope that helps,
              Konstantin

Comment

Thanks mate, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking

Thanks for the video and links!

Comment

That is awesome!
                  But, I tried animating the water and the Dome Light (via Bongo) at the same time, and apparently the animated bump map works only using V-Ray render button, and not the "Render Animation" button from Bongo. So I am only able to animate the water OR the dome light, not both at the same time
                  Any workarounds?
                  Edson Maruyama
                  Architect

Comment

So, I finally tested this out, but the baking of the animation bugs out big time. I've explained this in further detail in this post, but here is a gif of the buggy result. Note the camera target freak-out around frame #27

Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	J2cZ7Tf.gif
Views:	771
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	984361

https://imgur.com/a/7Uq64
                    Last edited by aaouviz; 19-02-2018, 01:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaouviz View Post
                      So, I finally tested this out, but the baking of the animation bugs out big time. I've explained this in further detail in this post, but here is a gif of the buggy result. Note the camera target freak-out around frame #27

Any ideas?

https://imgur.com/a/7Uq64
                      Hi aaouviz,

I haven't seen that before.
                      Is it possible for you to share the scene so that we can investigate it here?

Regards,
                      Konstantin

Comment

Working...
                      X