Max to Rhino Material/proxy workflow

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max to Rhino Material/proxy workflow

I'm trying to get our library of VRay proxy plants for max usable in VRay for Rhino, and having a greeat deal of trouble with the material conversion. It seems that if a material is more than trivial, the .VRMat exporter doesn't handle it properly. Furthermore, it seems that some material ID-related setups that work in max don't work in Rhino, which I imagine has to be a translation error since VRay 3.6 is the render engine in both cases.

For example, trying to use a multi-sub texmap inside a Multimaterial doesn't appear to work properly in Rhino, while it's very much possible in max (the Rhino version I eneded up building by hand for the material attached below used 4 VRayMaterials inside 4 Vray2Sided materials (plus a regular vraymateril for the trunk) inside a multimaterial instead of just using a multisubtex for IDs 2-5 and a single material tree. It's a lot of duplication of effort to keep changes in sync, and also clutters the scene material list with 7 extraneous entries, plus it intimidates the less-technical users I'm building the materials for.

Also, is there some way to get a tree view of a material on the Rhino side? It's really difficult to keep one's bearings being able to see only one map or submaterial at a time in the material editor, and having to leave the branch you're editing to see the preview update is really annoying. Is there a friendlier way?

Finally, is there a way to instance maps on the Rhino side? I only see "paste as copy" in the rightclick menu on a map icon.

I've attached an example of a material setup that fails to translate (max 2017, Vray 3.6) - The VRMat editor won't even load the material.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jskt; 07-05-2018, 09:03 AM. Reason: Added paragraph about multisubtex

Hello, and thank you for your detailed post!
    One of our developers will look into what exactly is stopping the .vrmat you shared from opening in V-Ray for Rhino. We realize some complex materials trees or certain features cannot be properly translated into V-ray for Rhino. While both V-Ray for 3ds max and V-Ray for Rhino share the same core, each of them is tailored specifically for their host app and therefore some differences in functionality are inevitable. The simplest workaround I can offer you is to export the plants from 3ds max as .vrscene files which can be loaded directly into V-Ray for Rhino.
    Would also suggest to post in the V-Ray for 3ds max sub-forums to discuss more about the VRMat Exporter.

Regarding your question for material tree view, our dev team is keen on exploring solutions for node-based material editor but there is no timeframe set yet.

Texture instancing is not currently in V-Ray 3 for Rhino. It is planned for the next major version.

Kind regards,
    Peter
    Peter Chaushev
    V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
    www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

When I tried using VRSCENE files they didn't work, although I don't recall exactly what the problem was.

As for a node-based editor, I'm sure that's on the horizon and you will do a fine job of it, but in the meantime a simple tree view (like the old 3ds max material editor had), would be very welcome for navigating around the material and I imagine would take a lot less dev resources to implement.

Comment

Could you please explain how your vrscene workflow fails?
        If possible, please send a screenshot illustrating the issue and/or a sample .vrscene file together with a short description in an email addressed to support@chaosgroup.com ?
        My colleagues will assist you based on the requested info.

Kind regards,
        Peter

Peter Chaushev
        V-Ray for SketchUp | V-Ray for Rhino | QA
        www.chaosgroup.com

Comment

Working...
        X