Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wish: store in Irr.map and linear decay for area lights

Hi,

in the past I used this option of area lights often. Could it be added again please. I save me a lot of render time.

Could it be be possible to get decay chooser for area lights like known from spot lights? Often I have the problem "no decay" looks bad and full decay is to strong. Linear decay would be a nice compromise.

-Micha
    www.simulacrum.de ... visualization for designer and architects

Hi Micha,

Can you please describe your workflow with the Store with Irradiance Map option?
    This option can be utilized in very small number of scenarios and I'm not sure how is anyone going to use it.

Konstantin

Comment

In the past at VfR2 I turned on "store in IM" for every area light I used. The subdivs was set to 20 most, since I found it helps to avoid some IM splotches. Some years in the past I tested it and found shadows was quick calculated and noise free per "store in IM".

Today I tested it again - the render times wasn't so different anymore and there is light noise only. I'm not sure my test is good enough for a general conclusion, but here it looks like "store with IM" isn't so much needed anymore.

What do you think about additional decay modes? Is this possible.

Comment

Hi,

The store with irradiance map option will calculate and save the light contribution in the IM and then when the final rendering stage starts the light will not be sampled.
        It only works with IM and will lead to noise-free lighting solution.
        On the other hand the lighting quality will suffer in a big way. It is entirely dependent on the IM quality and rendering precise shadows will be virtually impossible.
        The option was in my opinion only useful for lights in a distance which are not significantly affecting the set (and only when IM is the primary GI engine).

The light decay of our area light sources (Rectangle , Sphere, Dome and Mesh) can not be set to Linear. It can only be disabled.
        The reason is that area lights are sampled in a different way compared to the point lights.
        This calculation doesn't allow for custom decay alterations.

Regards,
        Konstantin

Comment

OK, I understand. I use LC+IM all days. So, I get my interiors done in 15..30min. I will try how good the lights work without "store in IM". Looks like the denoiser keep the times and gives a better result.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
          X