Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a recommended resolution for Cubemap to be viewed on a phone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a recommended resolution for Cubemap to be viewed on a phone?

I am experimenting with rendering out stereoscopic cubemaps for VR use. I plan on viewing them with my iPhone 7+ which has a full-HD resolution of 1920x1080.

My thinking is to render out my cube map at 1920 pixels high, because the phone will not have the ability to utilize any additional resolution? Is this a valid way of thinking about this?

I think, assuming you want to view the scene in landscape mode you would want a height of 1080. If your viewing it portrait then 1920? My understanding may be incorrect though.
    Last edited by matthewg; 20-02-2018, 08:16 AM.

Comment

That's pretty low I think. For 360 panos, we use a spherical camera for post production reason and render 10k X 5k. Then we use pano2vr to handle the HTML and multi-tile functions so that it works on phones and the like with lower res screens as well as 4k monitors, etc etc (basically it will adapt to however its being viewed).

cubemapping is slightly different, but look around and think about how your going to composite and work on the file and then choose size/format
      https://forums.oculusvr.com/communit...-for-360photos

Comment

Originally posted by matthewg View Post
        I think, assuming you want to view the scene in landscape mode you would want a height of 1080. If your viewing it portrait then 1920? My understanding may be incorrect though.
        This seems correct as the phone will be in landscape when inside the VR viewer, so the 1080 pixel becomes the constraint.

Comment

Working...
        X