Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RT IPR gets settings from Active Shade instead of the production renderer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RT IPR gets settings from Active Shade instead of the production renderer?

I've been messing with RT CUDA for a while both as a final production renderer and as an IPR for look dev. Now that I've got a new GPU everything is so much faster and more fun to play with RT. I love it!

So while goofing around with RT IPR I was thinking, why does Vray take the settings from the Active Shade renderer instead of the production renderer? Wouldn't it make more sense to follow the logic of Adv where Vray takes the IPR settings right from the production renderer? Quite often I get confused why some things look different than the production rendering I made a while ago and then I remember that I need to switch to Active Shade, change my settings to match the production RT renderer and then switch back to the production renderer. This takes away from the speed and ease of use. Is this made on purpose? Is it possible for RT IPR to take the settings right from the production renderer instead?

Should I put this as an idea in a new thread in the Wishlist subforum?
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

If I understood you correctly, you are using RT as Production and Active Shade, right? What settings are you talking about?
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Yes, I use RT as production renderer and when I do lookdev I just start IPR while still in Production rendering mode with RT CUDA.

So to give an example, on one particular job I'm working ATM I started IPR and suddenly noticed that all materials in the scene are grey. I didn't see any grey override material in the production renderer so I went back to Active Shade and saw that there I had enabled the override material feature with a grey material. This is a bit confusing, especially for new users, since Vray Adv seems to take its IPR settings directly from the production renderer. Does that make sense? Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about for which I apologize in advance. I've just recently started messing around with RT as production renderer so some things are still not 100% clear to me.

And another question. When I do lookdev what is the best way to do this? Using RT in production mode with IPR or using RT in Active Shade mode?
      Last edited by Alex_M; 17-05-2017, 08:55 AM.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

The IPR button has different behaviour dependant on what the production render is.

If the production is Adv, the IPR button starts an Interactive Production Render that is actually the Adv with interactivity. If the production renderer is set to RT, the IPR button starts Active Shade with RT. So in the second case we have different settings on purpose since we launch a different renderer (from the 3ds max point of view). I find this very convenient because I can have lighter settings in Active Shade (lower rays per pixel/ray bundle size for interactivity, override mtl and bla bla) for the look dev.

On the last question - depends on what will be your final render - if it's Adv then use IPR Adv, if it's RT as Prod then RT as Active Shade. Of course you can use RT as Production for look dev, if you won't change anything during the render and need the LC boost.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

Ok, thanks a lot for clarifying this.

Comment

Working...
          X