Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Cleanup on Shadow Catcher?

Hi all,

This isn't necessarily a problem but I'm unsure how to resolve it, it might be more of an issue with my workflow. I can provide the scene if necessary, let me know what email to send it to.

I'm using RT but the problem still applies when using Adv. I'm using a matte object shadow catcher on a plane beneath a car, everything cleans up really nice except the shadows. The scene is lit with a HDRI.

I set the noise threshold to 0 and it took 42mins to complete the image with no noise but in comparison I can get a near identical render in 5 minutes with the denoiser, except for the floor. Is there any way I can speed this up so I can render an animation?

Thanks,

Max
    Last edited by maxwood; 29-06-2017, 02:20 AM.
    Freelance 3D Generalist
    www.maxwood.co.uk

Max, if you let the Denoised version run long enough to sufficiently clean up the shadow (ie: lower Noise Threshold), how long does that render take?

Using the Denoiser is all about finding the Noise Threshold setting for a particular rendering that the Denoiser can clean up sufficiently. Then just set the Noise Threshold to that number and you have something that you can use for subsequent renderings.

Also, things like reflective auto finishes typically clean up much faster than diffused shadows, especially using HDR/IBL. I'm only mentioning this so you know that your findings would be expected.

If this is not what you are asking about, please disregard!

-Alan

Comment

For the matte, probably having higher rays per pixel value might help ...

Best,
      Blago.
      V-Ray fan.
      Looking busy around GPUs ...
      RTX ON

Comment

Hi guys,

It was a little while ago so I'm not working on this project any more. Increasing the rays per pixel did help but didn't solve the problem

I think it's mainly caused by the same issue in this thread though - https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...t-sampled-well

Freelance 3D Generalist
        www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X