Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimizing VRay RT

Hi gang;

When it comes to optimizing VRay RT GPU, what settings would provide the most speed gains?

For example, does reducing the number of global illumination bounces affect speed? Are there any other key factors that can help optimize VRay RT GPU?

Regards,
    -Rich
    Richard Rosenman
    Creative Director
    http://www.hatchstudios.com
    http://www.richardrosenman.com

Reducing the GI bounces and the trace depth would definitely speed things up. Using the light cache as a secondary engine will also give a speed boost (you might need to up the settings a bit for animation). Using a higher noise threshold and then denoising could be another option.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by richard_rosenman View Post
      Hi gang;

When it comes to optimizing VRay RT GPU, what settings would provide the most speed gains?

For example, does reducing the number of global illumination bounces affect speed? Are there any other key factors that can help optimize VRay RT GPU?

Regards,
      -Rich
      In addition to Vlado's comments, two things I have done are:

1. Overclock the GPUs for faster rendering. Use something like the EVGA Precision software and experiment until you can get speed increases while retaining GPU stability. I think I got ~10% rendering speed increase with this method but of course YMMV.

2. Play around with the Rays Per Pixel and Rays Bundle Size numbers and see if you can increase performance this way. This would be especially true if you were using DR and outboard GPU rendering nodes.

Oh yeah, decreasing Trace Depth might help as well - if you can afford it in your scene. Also, overclocking my i7 5960x and using hybrid GPU rendering also helped.

Best of luck,

-Alan

Comment

did you manage to use precision to oc for vray gpu? from my experiments a while back, it was necessary to use NVinspector, since cuda workloads use power state p2 which is inaccessible to most overclocking tools, which target max performance mode (power state p0)

NV inspector allowed me (after a fashion/and flakily) to adjust the p2 clocks and get a decent speedup in vray, but i never managed to get the clocks to reliably stick. in the end i gace up and went back to stock, despite getting a decent speedup at one point.

i remeber asking at the time if there was a way to force the gpu to use p0 power state when rendering, since p2 power state is a lower clocked, more "conservative" setting, presumably to ensure reliablility and stability for critical compute workloads. stuff that! i want my gpus to run at full speed!

Last edited by super gnu; 11-06-2018, 09:42 AM.

Comment

I`m able to get over 10% speed increase with EVGA Precision on 1080Ti. But it`s it takes a bit of time to find right balance between the overclock values, voltage and cooler RPM. It helps a lot if you install GPUz, utility to watch your temps, rpms and most imporatnt GPU throttling activiity and reason for it. If you have good card and can afford to run cooler and max RPM, then go even for more then 100% power target in EVGA Precision app..
          Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net

Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com

Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

Comment

Working...
          X