X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render (on GPU) doesn't look the same like the CPU

Hi all!
    I'm sharing 2 images of the same frame.
    The frist one, was rendered on the CPU and it look like I want.
    The second one was render on the GPU and the coffee beans looks completely different! (Bump, Reflection and Gloss)

I didn't change anything, just swich from Vray CPU to Vray GPU?
    What can be the problem and how can I fix it?

UPDATE: I noticed that the LC calculation look nice and when it start th BF than the render start to look bad...

Thanks for the help!
    Dan
    Attached Files
    Last edited by dan_plattner; 14-04-2019, 10:16 AM.

Its because LC is calculated on cpu. I suspect the image that drives the glossiness is not supported by the gpu some how, or the color correction or something like that.
    Dmitry Vinnik
    Silhouette Images Inc.
    ShowReel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
      Its because LC is calculated on cpu. I suspect the image that drives the glossiness is not supported by the gpu some how, or the color correction or something like that.
      The glossiness is just a .jpg file and the CC is the CC of max...

Comment

right, if you try to isolate the issue. Like have a simple material with no textures and see if you get glossy reflection with just adjusting the shader, if you do, then plugin your map into it. If that breaks try to isolate why? it looks like a bug to me tho.
        Dmitry Vinnik
        Silhouette Images Inc.
        ShowReel:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
        https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

It would best to take a look at the scene; this case should be working fine.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Please send me the scene - it will be way faster than guessing
            If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

download link: https://we.tl/t-wkE3Tv2yl6

Comment

So I really have to start with this - V-Ray and V-Ray GPU are two different rendering engines. They don't have to render the same.

And now for your particular case - as far as I can see, there are three main reasons you are getting different shading :
                1. You are using Diffuse Roughness which is not supported in V-Ray GPU (you can see that it's greyed-out in the UI)
                2. The "Blur" function of Bitmap and VRayHDRI is calculating the effect in a different way in V-Ray GPU (and in V-Ray Standalone)
                3. The "inverse gamma" of 0.45 in the bitmaps needs more than 8-bits in some cases. If you set your Texture Mode in Render Setup to Half or Float, it should be ok.
                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                Chaos

Comment

i would also add, that in my experience a completely different bump multiplier is needed on gpu... (iirc i had to drop the bump from 5 to 0.3 to get similar result, or vice versa..)

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
                    So I really have to start with this - V-Ray and V-Ray GPU are two different rendering engines. They don't have to render the same.

And now for your particular case - as far as I can see, there are three main reasons you are getting different shading :
                    1. You are using Diffuse Roughness which is not supported in V-Ray GPU (you can see that it's greyed-out in the UI)
                    2. The "Blur" function of Bitmap and VRayHDRI is calculating the effect in a different way in V-Ray GPU (and in V-Ray Standalone)
                    3. The "inverse gamma" of 0.45 in the bitmaps needs more than 8-bits in some cases. If you set your Texture Mode in Render Setup to Half or Float, it should be ok.
                    Thank you,
                    this is very helpful info. Next time I set up the scene in V-ray GPU from the beginning to avoid surprise as possible ^_^
                    Last edited by dan_plattner; 19-04-2019, 06:08 AM.

Comment

Hey guys, I have a similar problem with glossiness on GPU but using LayeredShader...
                      My Artstation
                      Whether it is an advantageous position or a disadvantageous one, the opposite state should be always present to your mind. -
                      Sun Tsu

Comment

Working...
                      X