Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Progressive Render Slowdown in RTX GPU mode...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive Render Slowdown in RTX GPU mode...

Continuing this thread in the beta forum...which no longer allows replies.
    https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...n-rtx-gpu-mode
    I'm still seeing this - even simple scenes, with a box and a bunch of planes - rendering over and over (not even animation modes) and you will see a MASSIVE slowdown as you try and render. :/
    "Preparing scene for frame" goes from 2 seconds to over 10 minutes.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation 2020-06-22 091938.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	1075526
    WHY?
    Here's the scene I'm testing with:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-CL...ew?usp=sharing
    Thanks!
    Last edited by HowardDay; 22-06-2020, 09:44 AM.

^Lele^ is this still being looked at?

Comment

I'd assume it is (not mine to look into).
      Did you ever write an email to support pointing at the (beta) thread?
      If not, please do so (linking them to the beta thread, and to this.).
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ticket #305-916-1783, apparently. I wish there was a way to check the progress of this stuff, rather than just feeling left out to hang. :/

Comment

I hear you.
          On the other hand, devs are under pressure enough as it is, i can't begin to fathom what would happen with opening to the public the progress (and occasional regress. It's often a very non-linear process.) of bug fixing.
          In this case, it's potentially a biggie, so rest assured resources will be poured unto it.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

As a dev myself, I definitely understand that. I just hope it's an easy one to fix.

Comment

Hi Howard,

The problem is under investigation and is being actively looked in, you are not forgotten. The core of the problem lies in the way we handle compilation with LLVM. Sadly, this is not an easy fix, as the "easy" solution will break a dozen other workflows so it needs to be carefully investigated and thought of.
              We'll let you know when we have progress, or, I know it's frustrating, you can try poking us every now and then to check what's going on.
              Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

..Does this one have something to do with this other bug as well? https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ar-memory-leak
                Because, if so it means that animations of any sort are completely out of the question for RTX/Cuda pathways, and likely out for CPU as well. if you're using any sort of OSL. If I can only manage 18 frames at best before I have to restart MAX and sometimes the computer itself, that's a *major* bug that I hope would be a1 to fix. Or at least put an (*still frames only, restart max after several renders) besides the GPU compatibility listing for OSL.
                I'm really rooting for you guys to get this fixed.

Comment

The other bug is still under investigation. I don't think they're related, but once I get more insight I'll let you know. And yes. they are a1 priority right now.
                  Alexander Soklev | Team Lead | V-Ray GPU

Comment

The cause of the problem is identified and we are working on a fix. As for the exact reason why it happens, it turned out to be a bad side effect of the overly aggressive shader caching strategy we employ to keep IPR more responsive. Caching more shader instances means more code for the backend to handle and exceeding a certain size becomes a problem at one point. We are evaluating better garbage collection schemes to mitigate that. The issue is certainly not left out hanging but, as Alex said, it won't be a very easy one.

Best regards,
                    Ivan

Comment

Any news on this bad boy? It's holding up a couple of animations I'd like to get done.
                      I've got a better example of the issues I'm running into. The CPU rendered version of this scene takes 21 seconds to render.
                      The GPU version on twin RTX TITANS takes over 9 minutes - with the vast majority of that time spent doing...nothing?
                      Here's the GPU version:
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vl-...ew?usp=sharing
                      Here's the CPU version (stripped)
                      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Qd...ew?usp=sharing
                      I'm using 3dsmax 2021 and the latest 7/7 nightly.
                      Thanks!
                      Last edited by HowardDay; 07-07-2020, 03:49 PM.

Comment

The problem should be fixed now. Install V-Ray 5 for 3ds Max, hotfix 2, released on Jul 29, 2020 give it a try and tell us how it goes.
                        Best regards,
                        Milva
                        Milva Perkovich
                        QA department
                        Chaos Group

Comment

It was fixed for a while, but now it's back again. :/ I have another ticket running.

Comment

Working...
                          X