Shadow catcher alpha not sampled well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadow catcher alpha not sampled well

It seems that there are problems with sampling the alpha of shadow catchers in RT CUDA. They render way noisier than Adv even at noise threshold of 0.005. Is there something that I can do to make the shadow catcher's alpha smoother?

Please check the screeenshot below. This is a sphere on a plane and a Vray plane light. All render settings are at default.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RT_shadow_catcher.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	958182
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Does it gets cleaner if you add lower noise treshold (comparing noise thresholds between Adv and V-Ray GPU sometimes can have those effect)?

Best,
    Blago.
    V-Ray fan.
    Looking busy around GPUs ...
    RTX ON

Comment

Hi Blago,

No, the alpha looks exactly the same down to the individual pixels, even if I lower Max noise to 0.001. The RGB channel is silky smooth though at this noise level.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 29-06-2017, 03:28 PM.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Thank you for this report Alex.

It looks like the alpha noise level is not considered for the current noise threshold level in GPU mode and I'll make a note in our system about this.
        Until we have this improved in the builds you can slightly increase the Ray per pixel parameter until you get the desired image quality. I also found that setting the Max noise thresh. to 0 make the alpha very smooth but this is not really an option since the render time will go up a lot.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Setting Rays per pixel to 64-128 worked, thanks! It's still not as smooth as I want it but it's much better.

Comment

Looks like this is the same issue I posted about yesterday morning - although much better explained by Alex. (Thanks Alex) https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...shadow-catcher

Indeed, increasing rays per pixel helps a lot but doesn't solve it.
            Freelance 3D Generalist
            www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Minor bug I've noticed, when right clicking to reset to the default rays per pixel value it doesn't respect the engine type chosen.

Resetting rays per pixel when using CUDA changes to 4 (should be 16).
              Looks like it's taking the default value from CPU instead.
              Freelance 3D Generalist
              www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by maxwood View Post
                Minor bug I've noticed, when right clicking to reset to the default rays per pixel value it doesn't respect the engine type chosen.

Resetting rays per pixel when using CUDA changes to 4 (should be 16).
                Looks like it's taking the default value from CPU instead.
                I'll forward this to our developers. Thanks!

Comment

We have fixed the noisy alpha issue for the next update of V-Ray 4.

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                    We have fixed the noisy alpha issue for the next update of V-Ray 4.
                    Brilliant, thanks Tashko
                    Freelance 3D Generalist
                    www.maxwood.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X