Displacement needs to much RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement needs to much RAM

It's the first time I tried to render an archviz on my brand new 2xgtx1080ti and I bumped into a problem: Displacement sucked all my RAM (32gb) empty. I only have two objects in my test scene - a cylinder and a plane - with a vraydisplacementmod on top of both. My texture map is 512x512. With edge length of 2 pixels all I got is a crash, with edge length 2 cm view independent it's working, but really slowly (2 min) - see example attached. The result is also pretty poor. I know GPU renders 3D-Displ. only, but is there a good workaround? I mean without modelling all roof tiles manual.

Regards
    Olaf
    Olaf Bendfeldt
    3D-Artist
    dimension3+

We are researching ways to improve the GPU usage in this case.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Not a solution, but an alternative until chaos sort the gpu displacement issues - http://www.avizstudio.com/tools/atiles/

Obviously this creates models of the tiles but is pretty easy to setup, works well and is quite versatile.... you can make corrugated iron roofs etc too (with custom roof tile models).
      Nick Martin

ScreenAge - 3D Visualisation

www.screenage.com.au

Comment

Thank you Nick, I haven?t known this script before.It looks promising and I?ll give it a try.

regards
        Olaf
        Olaf Bendfeldt
        3D-Artist
        dimension3+

Comment

Working...
        X