Light Cache with RT in Active Shade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Cache with RT in Active Shade?

Wouldn't it be cool if we could use Light Cache for secondary GI with RT in Active Shade mode the same way we can use Light Cache for secondary GI with Vray Adv 3.5 IPR?

In the help pages of RT it says that Light Cache is not available for RT in Active Shade mode because "re-calculating it every time the camera changes its position in Active Shade doesn't make much sense". However, I've found that when using IPR in the beta of Vray 3.5 it's perfectly fine to use Light Cache as a secondary engine for real-time rendering as long as you set it to something low like 500-200 subdivs. I can still navigate around the scene and get decently fast Light Cache calculations with this settings, especially if I'm using region render. I would guess that most users can use the same approach with RT? Besides, 90% of the time people using RT in Active Shade do region renders anyway when adjusting their materials/lights so updating light cache shouldn't be such an issue.

Maybe my reasoning is not really correct since I'm not a developer but my experience with IPR in Vray Adv 3.5 tells me that it shouldn't be impossible and impractical to have Light Cache in RT Active Shade mode. Any thoughts?
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

It's a valid point and until we did the IPR, I didn't really think it could work well, but it looks like it does. We will probably implement this at some point.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
      Wouldn't it be cool if we could use Light Cache for secondary GI with RT in Active Shade mode the same way we can use Light Cache for secondary GI with Vray Adv 3.5 IPR?
      Hmmm...Doesn't it work if you pre-render a LC file and save it off?

-Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Iglesias View Post
        Hmmm...Doesn't it work if you pre-render a LC file and save it off?
        Not if you want to adjust lights or materials or objects, all of which require recalculation of the light cache.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Not if you want to adjust lights or materials or objects, all of which require recalculation of the light cache.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          DUH!...of course...

Thanks,

-Alan

Comment

Working...
          X