Projection textures in GPU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projection textures in GPU

Is there any chance we can get this working in Maya GPU ? It's an invaluable tool in so many circumstances. I'm just asking in case it's an easy thing that's been overlooked.

Texture projection is supported in Perspective and Planar modes on the GPU rendering.
    Do you need other modes or if it something else can you provide more information?
    Thank you very much in advance.
    Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 22-02-2018, 07:01 AM.
    Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
    Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Thank you Svetlozar. I must be taking the wrong approach then. Generally Maya >File (create as 2D projection) This works fine in CPU but not GPU at my end

Super simple setup eg:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjFileHyperShade.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	985067

Comment

Yes, I can confirm that this setup works fine with GPU rendering if projection type is Planar or Perspective.
        This is true for the latest official 3.60.03.
        Can you send me the scene, even though it is very simple and let me know the versions of V-Ray, Maya and OS that you are using?

Comment

AHHH! Got to the root of it ! - It does work fine as you say, as long as the 2D texture to be projected is a file. If a ramp is used for the 2D texture it doesn't work in GPU, but does work in CPU.

I wouldn't have thought to check that without your feedback, thank you ! - I'll just replace all ramps in my scenes with gradient textures instead.

You guys are outstanding with the support

Comment

You are correct, there is something wrong with the projection of the Ramp texture, will make a note about it into our system and will update the thread when we have a fix about it.

Comment

It's been a couple of months, so just popping a rude little nudge in here...

Comment

It is being reported as bug VGPU-3071 with "critical" priority, but so far we haven't looked at it. Sorry for the delay.

Best,
                Blago.
                V-Ray fan.
                Looking busy around GPUs ...
                RTX ON

Comment

Oh no stress in that case! .. was just double checking to see it hadn't been missed. Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by ricoholmes View Post
                    Oh no stress in that case! .. was just double checking to see it hadn't been missed. Thank you
                    We have fixed that internally. As soon as there are nightlies/beta, it should work fine.
                    Thanks for the report and sorry for the troubles.

Best,
                    Blago.
                    V-Ray fan.
                    Looking busy around GPUs ...
                    RTX ON

Comment

Outstanding, as always! Thank you

Comment

Tum te tum... fixed for 3.6 and now broken again in Next ?
                        Can't get a simple ramp to project again now. :/

Edit: it only seems to be ramps that aren't effecting again. eg grid/file project fine
                        (Maya 2018 Win10 VrayNext)

Edit 2: Nope, it's definitely borked badly. Even with file textures. Everything works fine on CPU

Last edited by ricoholmes; 17-01-2019, 12:38 AM.

Comment

Yep, there is something broken. It has something to do with the distance/scale of the projection handle. I attached a test scene.

Regards,
                          Jan

Click image for larger version  Name:	projection_far.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	1028709
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	projection_close.jpg Views:	1 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	1028710
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi there,

I'm still having this issue in Vray 5 GPU in Maya - only Perspective projection works and this doesn't represent what I'm seeing in the viewport accurately, weirdly Planar projection doesn't work for me at all. What I really want to use is the TriPlanar projection which works fine on CPU, but really think this is such a useful texturing method that it should certainly be included on GPU. Please add to the list - happy to send my scene file if this helps!
                            Last edited by trainofthought; 20-08-2020, 05:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X