Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

seems "Multithreaded" option slow down a lot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seems "Multithreaded" option slow down a lot.

Hello,

I'm playing with the beer.max sample file and Phoenix2 beta.
    when i check on multithreaded option the simulation is very slow on my Corei7 920 . somthng like 3Hours.
    With this option OFF, he CPU is only used by 17% instead of more than 90% but the simultation is quicquer, something like 20mn .

So, why is this option for ?
    and , have you planned to use GPU openCL for computing the simultation like with blender ? it will be very faster with my 6x580gtx box

*Foam looks very cool from my first preview !!
    GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
    freelance 3D artist
    www.ghiom.com

this option is off by default, because when the cpu is used by some other process it leads to huge slow down of the performance. for example, in max 2012 the viewports are updated constantly and it should be not used.
    however, you can try to simulate with limits of the threads less than the actual cores.

Comment

Thanks for your answer .

I've try with 2,4,6 and 7 core limits, it's ecverytime slower than multithreaded OFF. 0.7M/s cells per sec instead of 0.9M/s .
      I have also try with limit to 1 core and i'm around 0.4M/s cells per sec with 25% CPU use
      when with Multithread off the perfs are 0.9M/s cells Per sec with only 17% CPU used .

that's strange that the number of cells per sec increase when CPU usage discrease for computing !
      GHiOM = Guillaume Gaillard
      freelance 3D artist
      www.ghiom.com

Comment

Working...
      X