No announcement yet.

V-Ray 3.30.01 BETA! available for download

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the new method how would one go and decrease noise in the more shadowy areas?
    Cheers,
    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Originally posted by ralphr View Post
      With the new method how would one go and decrease noise in the more shadowy areas?
      Look at the VRaySampleRate render element; if it's red (or white with the progressive sampler) after the image is complete, then increase the max. subdivs of the image sampler. Otherwise, decrease the noise threshold.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Last edited by vlado; 10-11-2015, 01:36 AM.
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Look at the VRaySampleRate render element; if it's red (or white with the progressive sampler) after the image is complete, then increase the max. subdivs of the image sampler. Otherwise, decrease the noise threshold.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Will both have the same effect on render time?
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
          Will both have the same effect on render time?
          No. The noise threshold will reduce noise across the entire image uniformly and therefore increase render time uniformly. Increasing the max. subdivs will only allow the renderer to clear up areas that remained noisy because all the samples were exhausted (those areas remain red or white in the sample rate element).

There is also another method to control the sampling or dark vs bright areas that involves the color mapper, but I won't get into that here.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Well, color me extremely impressed!

Once installed, I went straight to an Evermotion scene that has given me some trouble to render: scene-07-archinteriors-vol-39

With Vray 3.2 I had to change to Exponential tone mapping in order to tame the bright outside light and keep noise down. Even then the render time was 1 hour 41 minutes using BF/LC and Vlado's settings more or less. I think I put MSR = 8. Not good with a mere 1400 pixels wide render.

Vray 3.3 handles this scene like a champ! With the new defaults and BF/LC, the render time went down to 39 minutes for Exponential tone mapping and 43 minutes for the default Reinhard.

And there was less noise - especially in the white ceiling. Just wonderful!

I haven't been perfectly happy with using BF in interior renderings as it has been difficult (time consuming!) to get rid of the noise in the white walls and ceiling, but this looks like a major advancement to me.

Early hours and I'm off to test more, but I'm excited for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              1)
              3) "Low thread priority" ON by default?
              +1

Usually having this OFF makes it impossible to use the computer for other basic stuff like checking emails.
              Guido.

Comment

Great stuff Vlado!
                Congrats to all the team too.
                I'd kindly ask you if it's possible in the upcoming service pack adding the fact that the color correction controls on the VFB don't affect the Multimatte elements at least.
                Thanks for your effort!

All the best,

Gianpiero

Comment

Originally posted by WilleViz View Post
                  Well, color me extremely impressed!

Once installed, I went straight to an Evermotion scene that has given me some trouble to render: scene-07-archinteriors-vol-39

With Vray 3.2 I had to change to Exponential tone mapping in order to tame the bright outside light and keep noise down. Even then the render time was 1 hour 41 minutes using BF/LC and Vlado's settings more or less. I think I put MSR = 8. Not good with a mere 1400 pixels wide render.

Vray 3.3 handles this scene like a champ! With the new defaults and BF/LC, the render time went down to 39 minutes for Exponential tone mapping and 43 minutes for the default Reinhard.

And there was less noise - especially in the white ceiling. Just wonderful!

I haven't been perfectly happy with using BF in interior renderings as it has been difficult (time consuming!) to get rid of the noise in the white walls and ceiling, but this looks like a major advancement to me.

Early hours and I'm off to test more, but I'm excited for sure!
                  You can probably get a bit more speed still if you set opacity for opacity-mapped materials (leaves and such) to "stochastic".
                  The difference in speed between the exponential and (linear, to all intent and purposes) default Reinhard has to do with highlights, quite likely, being brighter for the defaults settings (which are LWF.).
                  Great to hear it works without too much trouble!
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Did a test on a sciene I've got with ocean, and a couple hundered rubber ducks floating around. Rendertime before was 14 minutes BF+LC. Now it took 4 minutes.

Sweet!

Comment

I just tested 3.30.01 on a car interior I had lying around. Although the rendertimes are increasing quite a bit (1h17min in 3.2 versus 1h29min in 3.3), the images is considerably cleaner. Take a look at the attached images (right click, open in new tab for full res). For getting the same result in 3.2 I would have to set the noise threshold to 0.005, in 3.3 it is 0.01. Very nice!
                      Also, the rounded corner feature is much much better now, and it finally works for disconnect meshes. Nice addition for me. And the Hosek sky model is great, too. No green tint.

Old one on the left, new 3.30.01 on the right. Take a look at the plastic buttons at the top and the black cover next to the power outlet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	crop_32.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	858852Click image for larger version

Name:	crop_33.jpg
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	858853

Regards

Oliver
                      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Nice!
                        Particularly for a shot like this, where most of the good stuff happens at very low RGB values, the new sampler WILL take a bit longer, yes, but then again your pictures show why it would do so.
                        You COULD increase the Noise Threshold, anyways, if you wanted a noisier image.
                        I believe the new sampler would be still quite a lot quicker to give you an image as noisy as the old one.
                        I notice a big difference in the reflections too (see the knob, image bottom-left and top-right), why would that be?
                        Did you switch BRDF?
                        Last edited by ^Lele^; 10-11-2015, 10:47 AM.
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The new Noise Threshold works really well for me as far. The noise levels are more even in the scene and predictable - just as advertised.

The Noise Threshold value of 0.008 seems to strike a nice balance between noise and speed. I tried another Evermotion interior in 2K resolution and the render time with BF/LC was 1h 10 min. Very clean and nice. With a GI of IM (High preset)/LC, the render time was 47 minutes, so the difference is smaller now.

A change to a Noise Threshold value of 0.006 makes a notable difference in some areas, so it is very easy to see and tweak to taste.

The enhancement of reflective GI caustics is quite notable and most welcome too. Happy times.

Comment

I have a scene with a LOT of overlapping and double faces (of same material). Other than raising the Secondary rays bias from 0.0 to 0.01, is there anything else "special" in this beta that can help in these situations?
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              I notice a big difference in the reflections too (see the knob, image bottom-left and top-right), why would that be?
                              Did you switch BRDF?
                              Indeed, I did.
                              Happy with the results so far, testing continues tomorrow.
                              https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

These were taken 9 hrs; I couldn't figure out why so long, so I tried everything, but nothing was working. I converted the scene to a Corona scene and I got pretty good results in an hour. Below, were done using the V-Ray beta, which took exactly an hour using the V-Ray defaults. I am impressed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 hour.jpg
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	858855 Click image for larger version

Name:	1 hour - 2.jpg
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	858856
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com
                                e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com