Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant Warwick- Mastering Vray: Material Ideas Needed.

My Current folio: http://sathe.cgsociety.org/

Update! - 22/11/13 (Australian time)

I am now offering pre sales to those willing to purchase early in order to make the first 50. I've had over 15 people ask if they can do this.

Please email me to confirm your order

admin@sathe.com.au

Thanks,

Grant.

Hi guys,

Many of you asked for some form of shading and lighting tutorial over the years however I never got on it due to trade secrets I developed while working at Lightfarm and the advantage it gave them.

However, with my brother managing me I've been organising an extensive completely in depth masters class for Vray for use in production targeted at large studios and advanced users.

I need your guys help deciding on complex materials to recreate that I will develop into the package.

Anybody who pitches a material / or materials to me, including attaching reference images to this thread, that I use in the production will receive the shader for free when packaged into my series.
    I'm talking physically complex materials that have properties others have struggled to reproduce. (Cracked ICE, Magma, Food)

www.sathe.com.au

Stay tuned!

A sneak peak at some of the materials I will cover creating. (These behave correctly in HDR light studio, daylight and night time lit rigs so far. more examples to come soon)

-Multi layered Anodized, anisotropic metals with procedural scuffing, mottling.

-Brushed metal with split RGB Exponent for simulating chromatic aberration and ringing around highlights (Used in Iron Man shaders)

- Advanced procedural car paint with dust, scratches, dirt and flake simulation

- Physically accurate Gold and Metals with nested fresnel layering to simulate complex BRDF highlights and grazing.

Stay tuned and thanks for your help in advance.

Note- all renders are untouched and have no post production or color correction.

Last edited by grantwarwick; 09-12-2013, 10:21 AM.
    admin@masteringcgi.com.au

----------------------
    Mastering CGI
    CGSociety Folio
    CREAM Studios
    Mastering V-Ray Thread

Hi, looks good (Grant/sathe?)

For now, I will add

depending on your locale, it has different names, but for my location, it is commonly known as lead-coated copper and is often used on exterior buildings for roofing, cladding, and or flashing...
    I will try to give some more, too...
    (no affiliation with the above example image)

Thanks!

Comment

perhaps a good set of galvanized metal would be helpful for a lot of folks? There are so many variations, though...but still, a few would be good IMO

Comment

Cheers,
        I have actually tackled this material (Or very similar) on some metal plane coating although I did not have separate glossiness values for the RGB exponents. Will take a crack, it looks very interesting based on lighting / view angle.

----------------------
        Mastering CGI
        CGSociety Folio
        CREAM Studios
        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Cool, BTW, you have some really nice quality stuff on your site.

Comment

Airplane Panels?

Comment

I've got no suggestions right now but I can't wait to see what you offer up with the training! Looks really really interesting.
              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Some usable SSS2 shaders would be nice. Candle wax, murky water (different colours/dirtiness), etc.

Aside from that I think perhaps things like standing seam metal, galvanized steel, rocks, etc.
                Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

Metalic car paint with flakes. Best physically based real scan
                  CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

maybe obligatory, but liquid waves would be good imo.

Comment

Really interested in what you're planning to do @ Grantwarwick.
                      No real suggestion at the moment. Since ss2 stuff and food was already mentioned.
                      Cheers,
                      Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Originally posted by Macker View Post
                        Some usable SSS2 shaders would be nice. Candle wax, murky water (different colours/dirtiness), etc.

Aside from that I think perhaps things like standing seam metal, galvanized steel, rocks, etc.
                        In development atm- Candle Wax
                        Already have muddy water looking good, but need to finalise and get looking right in different lighting types.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Originally posted by DADAL View Post
                        Metalic car paint with flakes. Best physically based real scan
                        I have quite a few different car paints I've used on jobs over the years and I'm currently creating scatter models for the flakes to derive normal maps from.

Keep em coming!

----------------------
                        Mastering CGI
                        CGSociety Folio
                        CREAM Studios
                        Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Originally posted by grantwarwick View Post
                          In development atm- Candle Wax
                          Already have muddy water looking good, but need to finalise and get looking right in different lighting types.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I have quite a few different car paints I've used on jobs over the years and I'm currently creating scatter models for the flakes to derive normal maps from.

Keep em coming!
                          MM interesting. But are they scanned BRDF models or just ur "By Eye" shaders?
                          CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

By eye of course. I'm not coder or shader writer, however I do have simple techniques to match reflectance values as close as I feel necessary.
                            Most of these shaders consist of layered blend materials to match reflectance correctly and they will work in production (As I use this scene as a starting point in all live jobs you can see on my site)

----------------------
                            Mastering CGI
                            CGSociety Folio
                            CREAM Studios
                            Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

A cold chocolate, warm chocolate and caramel shader I'm refining.

----------------------
                              Mastering CGI
                              CGSociety Folio
                              CREAM Studios
                              Mastering V-Ray Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X