Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to render a plan that is cut in the middle of the room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to render a plan that is cut in the middle of the room?

Hi everyone,

I want to render an interior plan which is cut in the middle, but i also want the top half of the model to be calculated with lighting. So that i can have a 'proper' lighting (similar to the first image). How can i achieve this?

Note: I use Sketchup Pro 2017 + Vray 3.4 Beta

Not sure of the specifics of it in Sketchup, but could you copy the geo, invert the cutaway, and then render that as not visible to camera? The tops and insides of your walls etc will all render black then though.
    Rens Heeren
    Generalist
    WEBSITE - IMDB - LINKEDIN - OSL SHADERS

Comment

Originally posted by Rens View Post
      Not sure of the specifics of it in Sketchup, but could you copy the geo, invert the cutaway, and then render that as not visible to camera? The tops and insides of your walls etc will all render black then though.
      Hi Rens,
      Thanks for suggestion but copying half of the complex image (including detailed windows, doors etc.) will probably slow down the performance and there is no magical 'ignore to camera' checkbox in Sketchup, as it is at object properties in 3ds Max :\ I'll need to add another material to all those backfaces and set its opacity %0 , so that camera will ignore. That's how i did the ceiling on first image. Vray renders backfaces (inside of walls & columns) normally (as seen on second image).
      So in theory it works but practically it's a mess. There must be a simpler & easier approach to this.

Comment

Download the Vray 3.4 beta and use a clipper object. This way you can cut your model and still retain the lighting of the interior as if it was still uncut.
        As for vray 2. You can cut your model in two and give the upper part a material which is unseen by the camera.

Best,
        AMD Ryzen 9, RTX 2080Super, ArchiCAD 24, Vectorworks 2020, Sketchup 2021 Pro, Vray Next for Sketchup, Skatter, Twinmotion 2020

Comment

Originally posted by peerman View Post
          Download the Vray 3.4 beta and use a clipper object. This way you can cut your model and still retain the lighting of the interior as if it was still uncut.
          As for vray 2. You can cut your model in two and give the upper part a material which is unseen by the camera.
          Hi peerman, i had used 'vray mesh clipper' before but i haven't noticed its parameters on asset editor (geometry tab)

I unticked 'affect lights' and 'clip lights'.
          Problem solved, thank you!

I also have a 'jagged edge' problem on high resolutions, any help is appreciated: http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...es-Jagged-Edge

Comment

I encountered another problem: once 'V-ray Mesh Clipper' is applied to a geometry, it's not possible to disable it. Unticking the 'Enabled' feature in asset editor doesn't seem to work. Adjusting other settings works fine.
            Also when i hide the geometry, it still cuts the model but without the section being capped.

Comment

Working...
            X