Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple M1 compatibility?

Hi There,
    Just about to grab an M1 Mac Mini as a transition machine until the workstation level stuff comes out. Will Vray run on M1 (via Rosetta 2) and/or are there plans to natively support ASi ?
    Sketchup seems to run fine through the translation layer but Vray compatibility is obvs a factor in the decision process.

Many Thanks

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...crash-apple-m1
    according to Vlado they will work on the native version in the first half of next year, don’t know if will work trough Rosetta in the mean while.
    3D Scenes, Shaders and Courses for V-ray and Corona
    NEW V-Ray 5 Metal Shader Bundle (C4D/Max): https://www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com/...ders-cinema4d/
    www.3dtutorialandbeyond.com
    @3drenderandbeyond on social media @3DRnB Twitter

Comment

Hi guys,

We've started experimenting with the new M1 machines and V-Ray for SketchUp does render.
      With that said, there are some issues obvious right away - the Asset Editor as well as the VPR don't works.
      We will do our best to address those soon.

Konstantin

Comment

Hello,

I might buy in the next months an Apple M1pro/max - I am using C4d and Vray. I assume I need to use Rosetta, right? or has there been a process already? Also, I understand that the GPU is only supported by NVidea - hence I do not need to focus on the Apple GPU Core Power? So actually an M1max does not make any difference?
        Probably we know more, once the first user owns one of these MacBooks...

Thank you in advance.

Comment

Hey acidnoid ,
          I might buy in the next months an Apple M1pro/max - I am using C4d and Vray. I assume I need to use Rosetta, right?
          With the current official version of V-Ray 5 for Cinema 4D you will need to use Rosetta to run V-Ray. We're working on V-Ray 5 version with native support for M1 chips that would soon be available to everyone.
          Also, I understand that the GPU is only supported by NVidea - hence I do not need to focus on the Apple GPU Core Power?
          Yes, V-Ray GPU will be available only for NVidia hardware.
          Ivan Shaykov
          chaos.com

Comment

shaio

"With the current official version of V-Ray 5 for Cinema 4D you will need to use Rosetta to run V-Ray. We're working on V-Ray 5 version with native support for M1 chips that would soon be available to everyone."

Does this mean everything will natively work except for the V-Ray GPU? So the asset editor, rendering with cpu etc and this without loss in rendercapacity/streght?

Thanks.

Comment

Hey arne_bossuyt
              Does this mean everything will natively work except for the V-Ray GPU? So the asset editor, rendering with cpu etc and this without loss in rendercapacity/streght?
              Yes V-Ray will use the full CPU power without any emulation overhead.
              Ivan Shaykov
              chaos.com

Comment

I'm very curious to find out how much of a performance boost it will be to have native M1 support. Are we expecting a big improvement, or just a little one?

Comment

Did vray 5 for SketchUp update 2.1 have m1 compatibility? Not seeing any benchmarks on the benchmark site for it yet. I see they said something about it working for Mac but it wasn’t clear it’s m1 macs.
                  This forum post got a lot of views! People want the vray for SketchUp on the new MacBooks pros!
                  I know you guys are working hard, thank you and I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Comment

Hi jrozansky

The M1 chips are supported and there are actually a number of benchmark results here https://benchmark.chaosgroup.com/v5/...ng=desc&by=max
                    You just have to search for VirtualApple or just Apple(I guess because it is running through Rosseta) and you can orient which exact model it is by the cores count.
                    You can download the V-Ray benchmark from here and give it a try https://download.chaosgroup.com/?platform=47&product=57

Comment

Hi again,

Just want to add something. V-Ray is not running natively on the M1 chips yet. For now, it is using Rosetta to be able to run on machines with M1. Meaning support is not official yet.
                      Our devs are working on native support implementation which will result in huge performance gains.
                      Last edited by slavcho.brusev; 06-12-2021, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Thank you for clarifying this! I am comparing the new Macbook 14" 10 core to an Asus Ryzen 9 5900hx. Currently the 5900hx runs about 20% faster than the M1 Mac Rosetta benchmarks, so I'll be very interested if the update can make the new macbooks jump ahead of Ryzen. I am also taking into account the fact that I won't be able to use GPU rendering on the Macbook, where the Asus has a 3070. Really would prefer the Macbook as I'll be traveling with the laptop and its considerably thinner/lighter than the Asus, but processing power is going to make the final decision. Looking forward to seeing the benchmarks for new m1 macbooks running native VRAY Sketchup!

Amazon Link to Asus laptop

If anyone has a better performing laptop in the $1,800 - $2,600 range, let me know!

Comment

Working...
                        X